Chapter Forty Four

A/n: I like angst, but I'm not going to put you through too much

-

Autumn is probably my favorite season just because of the colors. The trees in the park were varying shades of yellow, orange and red with the occasional evergreen between them, basking in the amber rays of sunset. Autumn is an oxymoron. Despite what science may tell you, red, yellow and orange are often considered warm colors and in autumn, that warmth is contradicted by the cool air as winter begins to roll in.

Choie had insisted that Louis and I let her babysit Noah while I met with Dinah for a second time, partially because she wanted to spend time with her godson, but also because she knew even if I didn't, that I would need to be around someone after our conversation, regardless of how it went. So I had taken Noah to her place and left in a hurry to avoid questions that would only tighten the knots that had formed in my stomach. That of course meant I was three hours early.

So I walked, and although walking in a Central Park wasn't exactly being at one with nature, the further in I walked, the more calm I felt. If there was one thing Indigo taught me, it was the art of having a clear mind, being at peace inside myself rather than worrying myself with unresolved thoughts and trying to plan for every eventuality. She taught me the art of letting go.

When the time for me to meet Dinah was close, I stopped to get coffee and muffins before heading over to where we said we'd meet.

I saw her long before she saw me; even if I wasn't somehow attuned to her presence, I'd spot her from a mile away just by how she walked like she was sure of herself and happy with who she was. I couldn't exactly see her face, but I could tell by how she moved that she wasn't anxious. From what I could see, her eyes weren't even scanning the park to try and find me. She already knew I'd be where I said I'd be just because she'd asked.

Her face changed when she got to the bench, lips contorting into an awkward and toothy smile while her cheeks clearly refused to cooperate. I returned her smile with one that I hoped was somewhat reassuring and a promise that tonight wouldn't be like our previous conversation.

"Hey," I said quietly as I handed her the coffee and muffin. "I got you a salted caramel mocha and the chocolate chip and hazelnut muffin. That's still your favorite right?"

I couldn't tell if she was surprised, annoyed or angry. "Why would you get me something that you're allergic to?"

"It's your favorite and I can just sit over here."

"Thank you, yes they're both still my favorite. Although recently I have gotten into the white chocolate mocha and the peppermint mocha latte," she finally murmured after a while. "They're really good..."

"I will try those some time."

"And I will eat this later, when I'm far away from you," Dinah answered.

I sighed, "Thank you for agreeing to meet with me."

"I'm surprised you called, especially given how I spoke to you the last time we talked."

"It's nothing I haven't heard before."

Dinah
True or not, I felt horrible at Normani's calm acceptance of the things I had said about her. I picked at the sticker on the side of my cup as I tried to figure out what to say next. The silence wasn't exactly uncomfortable, but it was loaded. We sat on opposite ends of the bench, the chasm between us wide as ever with neither of us willing to try and cross it to get to the other.

When I looked at her, she was staring straight ahead; I could tell she was lost in thought because she had the cutest little crease in her brow and she was drumming her fingers in time to whatever beat happened to be playing in the back of her mind.