Chapter Four

I smiled as I read the note

I smiled as I read the note. The coffee was still warm and she had even gotten me a blueberry muffin which I had told her was my favorite in passing. She was already busy at work and I didn't want to disturb her so I sent an email before getting on with my own work.

Normani Hamilton <nhamilton@lasienne.com>
To: dhansen@lasienne.com

Subject: Coffee
Hey, thank you for the coffee and the muffin. You get extra points for getting my favorite. There's no need to thank me though, I had fun spending the night with you. We definitely need to finish discussing the night at the club when you started flirting with me and ogling me though. And maybe even have a repeat? Of the dancing and getting drunk part I mean?

Avery knocked once and came into my office with coffee. "Good morning boss, how was your weekend?"

"Good and yours?"

"Amazing, I see you already got coffee, and a muffin? I thought you said no breakfast?"

I looked at my muffin and smiled. "I did, and more coffee's never a bad thing."

"I can't dispute that. So, care to tell me what you got up to after I left the gala? I noticed you on a certain pretty brunette's snap chat. I have to say, leggings and hoodies are a fashion faux pas for employees of such a reputable magazine, but you were rocking it."

"We hung out for a while then I went home. It wasn't that interesting."

"Normani Hamilton we've been together for a short time but I can already say with certainty that you are a workaholic. I also know you well enough that you don't hangout with people that you don't find interesting."

I rolled my eyes, "you sound just like my mother."

"Speaking of your mother, you have a pitch meeting in an hour, Zendaya's coming in after and your mother is taking you out to lunch. She also told me that you'd be out for the rest of the afternoon. I checked your schedule and you have nothing going on in the afternoon."

"Fuck, I'm about to get lectured for an entire afternoon. You couldn't make something up?"

Avery scoffed, "Normani how do you expect me to just be cool saying what I want to your mother when you stutter as soon as she starts asking you questions."

"I don't stutter," I mumbled defensively. "Can you please schedule a meeting for tomorrow afternoon with Alex from SM? We need to discuss ideas to generate more traffic for digital among other things. Make sure Gen is there, even if she can only attend for a few minutes. And Drew from marketing as well. Also please send out thank you gift baskets to everyone who attended the gala as guests of La Sienne. And if I have anything on Friday, clear it out. I'm spending the day at Vita Nova. Oh and on Thursday we're having lunch, out of the office. So don't make plans."

"Anything else?" Avery asked without looking up from his tablet.

"No, if I think of anything else I'll let you know."