Sixteen: Reasons to Fall Back in Love Pt. 1

As soon as we walked out on the street, someone's boom box was blasting Elton John's song 'I'm Still Standing,' causing my to roll my eyes. Rori, however, perked up and started dancing along. She was so excited and so full of energy for someone who just came off an eight hour flight.

She immediately grabbed my hand, her eyes sparkling with life.

"Daniel, can't you believe it?! It's fucking New York City!" Rori exclaimed.

I laughed. "Yes it is."

Rori frowned. "Aren't you happy to be here?"

"Yes I am! Why would you think I wasn't?" I asked curiously.

"You look sad." Rori commented.

"Rori, I am very tired." I chuckled lightly.

"Oh, do you want to go back to the suite then?" Rori asked, her eyes eyes twinkling.

I raised my eyebrows. "No! You wanted to go out, so we're going to go out, together."

Rori's lips curled up into a huge smile. "Okay."

With our hands still intertwined, I led Rori down the street. She marveled at everything and everyone who stroked her attention. It was crazy to see such a person in such a gaze. I didn't even think New York was that special!

Beside Rori, I felt so underdressed. She looked absolutely stunning next to me in her bright red pants and blouse. I, on the other hand, wore a pair of jeans with a loose button down shirt and my worn out adidas. To add on, I probably looked like a goddamn zombie because of how tired I was.

Just stay awake, and try to keep a smile on your face, Daniel.

As we kept walking, a crowd of people ran towards one direction. Rori and I looked at each other questionably before looking towards the crowd.

"Where do you think they're going?" Rori asked.

"I don't know." I replied.

I'm hoping Freddie didn't go out and already cause a commotion.

"Let's follow them." Rori stated.

I didn't even get to reply before Rori tugged my hand. Off we were, following the trail of people down the street. Everyone seemed to be out and heading towards the same direction as us. Families were parking along the street and getting out of their cars, couples were holding hands skipping in excitement. Everyone seemed to know what's going on except Rori and I.

As we drew closer to whatever was happening, music from a distance started to fill our ears. This seemed to only perk up Rori's excitement even more as there was a pep to her step.

"Daniel! It's a festival!" Rori exclaimed.

"No way." I scoffed.

"Yes way!" Rori started to tug on my hand. "Come on, let's go!"

At this point we were practically running to the festival. The lights were brightly lit in the dimming sky and the music was pounding through the air. Lots of booths were set up, either to win a stuffed animal or to buy a delicious treat. In the distance were rides and one that stood out the most was the Ferris wheel.

I stared at it in awe, an image of Freddie and I sitting in there together entering my mind. The corners of my lips turned up just thinking about it. Oh, how romantic it would be!

Just like that, I completely forgot I was with Rori.

That is until Rori shoved me at my shoulder. I exited out of my trance and followed Rori's finger to one of the stuffed animals on display. A Disney plush from the movie The Fox and the Hound that came out earlier in the 80s. I think the fox's name was Tod and the hound's name was Cooper, but I don't know if that's correct.