Thirteen: Time To Leave

Pop. Crack. Hiss.

The loud orchestra started to echo throughout the hallway. I grabbed my fedora, placing it on my head as I kicked my legs out the room. Rori sat at the table, watching me as I stopped suddenly, bringing a comb to my lips.

"Start spreading the news. I'm leaving today. I want to be a part of it, New York, New York

"These vagabond shoes. They are longing to stray. Right through the very heart of it, New York, New York,"

Rori started to laugh as I got closer to her.

"I want to wake up in that city that doesn't sleep. And find I'm king of the hill, top of the heap..."

"Those are all the lyrics I know." I stated embarrassingly.

Rori laughed. "Will do you the same thing when we make it to New York?"

"You already know it." I winked, taking the hat from my head and placing it on hers.

I sat down next to her, taking a strip of bacon from her plate. Rori, in response, pushed the plate towards me.

"You can finish it." She grumbled.

"Did you eat any of it?" I asked concerned.

Rori nodded. "Yes. I'm just really nervous about the flight."

"You have nothing to worry about!" I exclaimed. "Besides, if you're scared, then you can just lean on my shoulder or squeeze my hand."

A small smile appeared on Rori's face. "Thank you, Daniel." She said quietly.

I smiled back. "No problem."

Suddenly there were a couple knocks at the door. Julian came down the stairs just then, looking at us quickly. "I'll get it."

"It's probably Freddie." I called out to him before taking a bite of another piece of bacon.

Sure enough, after a couple of minutes, Freddie came in as Phoebe carried his bags behind him. I chuckled as I stood up, wiping my hands on my jeans as I made my way towards them.

"Just place the bags next to the door, Phoebe. We'll take care of them from here." I stated as Rori came to my side, placing the fedora back on my head.

"Do you have everything you need?" Rori asked Freddie.

"If I could bring my whole house I would." Freddie remarked with a smirk.

I rolled my eyes. "We're only going to be there for a week."

"It's still a week of stuff I have to bring!" Freddie exclaimed.

I rolled my eyes again as Julian came over. "So, when do we leave?"

"In fifteen minutes." I said.

"I have to go get changed. I'll be right back." Rori stated as she left my side.

I watched her trot up the stairs, a smile growing on my face. Freddie cleared his throat, causing me to snap towards him.

He pointed at my head, "what's with the fedora, Daniel?"

"He was playing New York, New York so loud this morning and singing to it." Julian grumbled as he took a sip from his coffee cup.

"Yeah, I had a little show." I stated shyly.

Freddie's eyes lit up. "And I missed it? What a shame."

"You didn't miss much. I only know the beginning lyrics." I laughed.