Dead Naming

A/N - Ask questions or your knee caps are mine

Alexandra's POV

   I heard faint whispering, then things moving around and I frowned. I yawned and started trying to sit up but a hand gently pushed me back into the bed. James smiled down at me and I squinted in the bright light. "Just rest, Al."
   "Good morning, Lexis." I heard John hum.
   "Good morning." I looked over at the laptop and smiled. Last night John and I stayed up talking and I fell asleep pretty quickly.
   "Hey, I have to leave in about twenty minutes but I'll stay on for now." He smiled.
   "Ok." I smiled, there was a knock on the door and the doctor came in.
   "Good morning, Alexander." I coughed on the end of my dead name and I glanced at the laptop. John was running around his room, putting things in boxes and folding clothes. He didn't seem to notice. "How are you feeling?"
   "Fine." I mumbled.
   "Any pain?"
   "What do you think?" I grumbled.
   "Al!" James snapped, I sighed and John looked at the camera.
   "Yes. My stomach hurts...and my head...and my arms... and my legs." The doctor pinched the bridge of his nose and James muted us.
   "I was just asking a question, Alexander."
   "Alexandra." I growled, the doctor leaned forward and glared at me.
   "According to your chart you have a penis, therefore you are male."
   "You have a dick, therefore you are a dick."
   "Ok, both of you cut it out!" James snapped. "Alexis, stop being combative for once? Please?"
   "Fine."
   "Thank you." James turned to the doctor and I unmuted us for John. He'd wanna know what's going on. I hope he won't notice the pronouns and dead naming.
   "Your disrespectful brother should make a full recovery under careful and diligent care. He'll need to stay here for a couple more days so we can make sure we got all the debris out of the wound. As of right now there seems to be no infection and we gave you the Tetanus shot because the rod was rusty so we'll keep an eye on it. Do you want it?"
   "Want what?" James frowned.
   "We were able to clean and preserve the two foot rod. Some people opt to keep it as a reminder that they're stronger than it." James' jaw drop and John choked on the water he'd been drinking.
   "Two feet! You didn't tell me it was two feet long, James!"
   "Why would we want it!" James frowned, I felt queasy and the heart monitor started beeping faster. James rubbed my shoulder and tears started slipping down my face. "We don't want it. Is that all?"
   "Yes. Good day." He muttered something in Spanish and left the room.
   "James!" John yelled.
   "What do you want from me?" He hissed.
   "You didn't tell me it was two fe-"
   "He didn't tell me either." I sniffed, James sighed heavily and rubbed his face.
   "I was trying to save your mental health...both of you." He sighed, John sighed a bit and I looked at my hands.
   "Oh..." John mumbled, he looked up and sighed. "Alright. I have to go. I'll call you when I land, Alexis."
   "Are you gonna be in a different time zone?"
   "No. I'll be in the same time zone. I'll see you later." He smiled.
   "Bye."
   "Bye." He hung up and James looked at me expectantly.
   "What?"
   "Did you come out to him?"
   "No." I mumbled.
   "You need to come out to him sooner rather than later!"
   "I know...I'm just...scared." I mumbled, James sighed lightly and gently hugged me.
   "I know but I don't think John is that kind of person. Besides, you're cute as a button. Who would care?" I giggled a bit and James kissed my head.
   "Alright. I have to go to work. You'll be ok alone?" I nodded and James took my hand. "I love you, Alexis." He smiled.
   "I love you too, Jimthony." I giggled.
   "I told you I hate that."
   "I'm lying in a hospital bed. I have a right." I grinned, James sighed heavily and rubbed his face.
   "Fine." He grumbled.
   "Yay!" James kissed my head and left for work. I relaxed into the pillows and sighed. I wanted to message John but he was busy so I just took a stupid nap.

   "Jamie?"
   "Yeah?"
   "Can I talk to you?"
   "I'm a little busy, Alex." He mumbled, looking through bills.
   "I know. I just-...It's important." He sighed and put the papers down.
   "What?"
   "
I-...I don't think I'm a boy." I mumbled, fidgeting with my curls. James frowned a bit and turned toward me.
   "What do you mean?"
   "I don't know..." I mumbled, James shifted and bit his lip.
   "Are you trying to say you're transgender?"
   "Maybe." I sniffed, I was terrified. On Nevis no one really believes in sexuality and gender stuff.
   "Ok..." He cleared his throat and shifted. "What do you want for dinner?"
   "Are you mad?"
   "No...Just-...You know how people are, Alex. I support you. I do. You're my little brother or-...whatever. I just don't want the simpletons on this island to upset you." He sighed.
   "Sister." I whispered quietly, James stood up and pulled me into a hug.
   "I have a little sister." He grinned, I smiled and buried my face in his chest. "So...What's your name?"
   "I-uh-I don't know...I don't wanna change it too much. Mama liked my name..." James thought for a moment and we sat back down.
   "How about...'Alexandra'?" He asked. "It's got the part she liked and stuff."
   "But my nickname would still be 'Alex' and-"
   "What about 'Alexis'?"
   "I like that!" I grinned, James hugged me and I smiled.

   "This is gonna take some getting used to and I want you to correct me when I'm wrong. I love you, Alexis, and I support you."
   "Thank you, Jamie."