The SAT

A/N - ASK QUESTIONS PLEASE!!!

Alexandra's POV

   I bit my lip and tapped my foot nervously as this old lady bore holes into my skull. I was taking the SAT. James had to throw hands with the government and I'd feel awful if I failed. John told me not to worry too much about it but I'm still hella nervous. I finished my last question and made sure everything was in order. She released me and I walked out of the building to see John's car parked out front. He got out when he saw me approaching and smiled. "Hey! How about some lunch?" He called, I giggled and he opened the door for me. "Lunch?" He asked again.
   "Martha-"
   "She's out shopping. Besides, she can't tell me what to do." He grinned, I smiled and he helped me in the car. He started driving and I sighed quietly. "What's wrong?" John asked.
   "I feel like I did awful on the exam." I muttered, John smiled and scooped up my hand.
   "I'm sure you're just nervous." He smiled, I bit my lip and sighed. "You don't think so?"
   "I felt like I didn't belong there and the lady kept saying I was cheating." I grumbled.
   "Were you cheating?"
   "No! I would never!" I gasped, John chuckled and squeezed my hand.
   "I know. I'm teasing you. I think you probably did pretty well. Where's that optimism?" He asked, poking my cheek and grinning like an idiot. I giggled and his grin grew. "There's that pretty smile!" I blushed and looked up at him. "So what do you want for lunch?" He hummed, taking my hand in his again and rubbing the back with his thumb.
   "I don't know. I've never been here, John!" I laughed, he chuckled and thought for a moment.
   "I think I have a place you'll like."
   "Why are there so many people?"
   "It's New York, Lexis." He chuckled.
   "Right..."
   "What do you want?" I frowned and pushed my glasses up.
   "I don't know. I can't really understand most of this." I mumbled, squinting at the menu.
   "What-"
   "English is not my fucking first language, idiot." I giggled.
   "Ah, right. Most of these aren't actually words. It's part of their brand." He explained to me that this restaurant put 'Mc' in front of everything just because they could. I got some McNuggets and McFries? I'm not really sure if that's right but John said it didn't matter. We grabbed a booth in the back after we got our food and I sat forward.
   "How was class! Tell me everything! Please?"
   "Alright,. alright! Calm down." He told me all about his first day and his classes and some kid he really wanted to punch. "He was asking for it, Alexis!"
   "Don't punch anyone!" I giggled.
   "Ugh! Fine." John groaned. "But if he starts a fight I reserve the right to punch him!"
   "Fine." I giggled, stuffing some fries in my mouth. John smiled and shifted.
   "Hey...I know you're not the biggest fan of Martha and she doesn't like you but...Can you please try to get along? Please?"
   "I've tried, John, but-"
   "But what?"
   "'Johnny, are you just gonna let her talk to me like that!' 'I thought you loved me!' 'Johnny-'" I mocked Martha's whiny tone.
   "Alright, alright." He chuckled. "I get it. Just...If you leave her alone she'll leave you alone. Get it?"
   "I tried but she insulted me anyway!" John sighed and rubbed his face.
   "I should've kept you apart." He mumbled, I sighed and shifted.
   "I'm sorry...I just-...I don't like the way she treats you. I'll be nicer-"
   "No...You're right. I know that. I just-...I can't, Alexis." He huffed, I got up and slipped into the booth next to him.
   "Why not?"
   "Because...-" He bit his lip and looked around.
   "It's ok to be vulnerable." I whispered, he pressed his lips together and his lip ring moved to the side.
   "She loves me." He mumbled.
   "Do you really believe that or are you just telling yourself that?" He was quiet for a moment and rubbed his face.
   "We had sex after all of y'all left the other day." My eyes widened a bit and John huffed. "She said we had to get rid of those thoughts and I didn't want to, but she said that if I loved her I'd do it but-" He stopped and I carefully scooted closer.
   "That's not healthy, Jack."
   "What is healthy!"
   "Well...Not that." I chuckled lightly, John smiled a bit and huffed.
   "What do I do?"
   "What do you want to do?"
   "I don't know..."
   "Well...Don't think about it. Just say it."
   "I want a girlfriend like you." He blurted.
   "What?" I flushed deep red and John sighed.
   "I'm sorry that was weird. I-"
   "No, no. What do you mean?" I asked, pulling on his arm as he ran his hand through his hair.
   "Well-..." He blushed and huffed. "You're sweet and cute and funny and smart and-...I feel like I don't have to lie around you. I can just be who I am and I don't have to feel guilty about it." He sighed.
   "Oh...Maybe you should break up with Martha?"
   "I can't."
   "Why?"
   "My dad." John grumbled, I frowned and he shifted. "If I don't date Martha then...I'll start having those thoughts." He grumbled.
   "You keep saying that. What does that mean?" John shifted and looked away. I pulled his face back and looked straight into his eyes. "Are you referring to being bi?"
   "I'm not bi." He snapped. "Not that there's anything wrong with that! I'm straight."
   "John...Are you questioning your sexuality?"
   "No...I think so...I don't know."
   "Do you remember our conversation when I was in Nevis? When we came to the conclusion that you might be bi?"
   "Yeah."
   "I don't think you're straight, John. There's not wrong with tha-"
   "Yes, there is. It's a sin." He spat, I jumped and stared at him wide eyed. "No...I mean-..." He huffed and buried his face in his hands.
   "Maybe we should go to your place to talk about this?" John nodded and helped me up.