Everything

A/N - *screaming* Ask questions y'all

Alexandra's POV

   I shot Laf down and left the game, ending the call with John too. I let the tears I had desperately been trying to hide fall freely and tossed my controller on the desk. I fell back in the bed and rolled up in the blankets. My laptop chimed and I glanced at it, seeing a discord call from John. I ignored it, rolling over and listening to the chime. I curled around my pillow and sobbed my heart out. John kept calling and I ignored him. I didn't want him to see me cry. I need to stop being a pussy about stuff like this. It happens everyday. Why does it hurt so much?

   "He called you 'Alex'?" I nodded, scooping a heap of ice cream into my mouth and sniffing. "And you told him to stop but he didn't?" I nodded again, James sighed and shifted. "You should stop playing with him." 
   "I know. John likes playing with him-"
   "What John wants isn't relevant. This is your mental health we're talking about, Al. You're already depressed. I don't want anyone poking the bear." He huffed, spooning through his ice cream. 
   "I know but-...I really like playing with John. Besides, he looks after me. I'm sure he kicked Laf's ass when I left."
   "Alright...Just-...I'm worried about you, Alexis. We only have each other. If something were to happen to you-" 
   "Nothing's gonna happen, Jamie. I'm fine." I smiled, he smiled lightly and hugged me tightly. 
   "I love you, Alexandra." 
   "I love you too, James." We pulled away and finished our ice cream. I pulled my SAT Prep Book off the nightstand and went back to answering the questions. My laptop chimed again and I sighed. James winked and got up, slipping out of our shabby one-bedroom apartment. I answered the call and wiped my face. 
   "Oh, god. Ice cream? That bad?" John asked, getting in some kind of car. "Are you ok? I didn't realize it was that big of a deal." 
   "I'm fine." I mumbled, scooping more ice cream into my mouth. 
   "You don't look fine. Why don't you wanna be called 'A-" 
   "I just don't! Ok!" I snapped, John jumped a bit and started the car. 
   "Ok...I just wanted to check on you and make sure you're ok. I get if you wanna leave the server. I just hope that...we can still play together." 
   "I'm not gonna leave the server. I like playing with you guys." 
   "Thank you. I tore Laf a new one after you left. He won't call you that anymore and if he does I'll kill him." I giggled a bit and John smiled. "You don't have to hang up but I'm gonna be driving so-"
   "Oh...I was just doing my SAT Prep." John smiled and started driving. "Why is it called 'S-A-T' and not SAT?" 
   "Huh...I don't know. That's a good question." John laughed. "A missed opportunity." I giggled and tapped my pencil on the book. 
   "Where are you going?" 
   "To pick up my sister from a friend's house." He hummed.
   "How old is she?" 
   "Thirteen." 
   "Oh, cool. Is she your only sibling?" 
   "No. I four siblings total."
   "Wow."
   "Yup. Martha is thirteen, Henry is nine, James is seven, and Mary is two." 
   "I thought Martha was your girlfriend?" 
   "Martha Manning is my girlfriend. Martha Laurens is my sister." He chuckled. "That confuses a lot of people." I giggled and scooped ice cream up. "So...What's wrong with being called 'Alex'?" 
   "John-" I huffed, he sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. 
   "Alright, alright. I get it." He sighed. "I'll stop asking. How's the SAT Prep?" 
   "Halfway done." I hummed.
   "Holy fuck. You're fast." He chuckled, I giggled a bit and he stopped the car. "Well...My sister is about to get in the car so I gotta go." 
   "Oh...Ok." 
   "Is James working late tonight?" 
   "Uh...yeah? Why?"
   "Then I'll call you tonight." He smiled, hanging up. I frowned and shifted. That was kind of weird. 

   "Hey!" John grinned.
   "Why are you calling?" 
   "What do you mean?"
   "I mean...you asked if James was working and then said you'd call tonight." 
   "Yeah. You're gonna sleep tonight." He grinned, I blushed a bit and pulled my knees into my chest. 
   "You don't have to do this." 
   "Yeah, I do." He smiled.
   "Why?"
   "Because you're my best friend, Alexis." 
   "You just met me." 
   "So?" He shrugged.
   "How can I be your best friend?" 
   "The only friend I have in South Carolina is Francis and he's cool but I wouldn't call him my best friend. You're my best friend. You're easy to talk to and sweet. I really like talking to you. I usually stay pretty boarded up but...with you...I feel like I can tell you anything." He mumbled, seeming embarrassed, and ran his fingers through his blonde hair. 
   "You can tell me anything, John." I smiled, he chuckled and sighed. 
   "And you can tell me anything." He smiled, I giggled a bit and John chuckled. "Lay down. Try to sleep." I sighed and set my SAT Prep book aside. I positioned the laptop on my nightstand and laid down. I bundled up in the blankets and John grabbed his sketchbook. 
   "What are you gonna draw?"
   "Not sure yet. I think I'm gonna practice anatomy. Can you-like-...-stick your hand out?" 
   "Sure." I smiled, I put my hand out and John started sketching. 
   "How's SAT Prep?" 
   "Good. I've gotten them all right so far." I smiled.
   "Awesome. You'll have to tutor me when we go to college." I blushed and smiled.
   "Why are you so sure we'll go to the same college?"
   "Because you're hella smart. I hope we go to the same college but I know you'll be able to go."
   "Yeah..." I mumbled, staring up at the ceiling. Even if I can go to college there's still the issue of paying for it. 
   "Stop moving your god damn fingers."
   "Oh, sorry." I sighed, John chuckled and fell silent. 
   "Hey...I just wanna apologize for Laf again. He's a dick-"
   "You don't have to apologize, John. It's fine."
   "You sure?" 
   "Yeah." We chatted sparsely and I felt my eyelids growing heavy. "John?" I asked, trying to stay awake. "Thank you." 
   "For what?"
   "Everything." I mumbled, falling asleep.