Chapter Fifty One

Start from the beginning

"Did you mean it when you said she was the one?"

"Yes I did."

"I'm sorry, this must be difficult for you."

I shrugged, "It'll work itself out."

He knew better than to try and say something encouraging, so we both fell silent instead. We eventually went inside where we immediately parted, Eli going to find his wife and me trying to disappear.

Because the universe hates me, I bumped into Dinah and Aiden. "Mani hey!" Dinah's wave was weirdly enthusiastic. "You remember Aiden right?"

"Yes... I do. Hi Aiden."

"Normani," He nodded stiffly. "I'm going to get us more drinks babe. Normani would you like anything?"

I shook my head, "No thank you—" He had already started walking away when I answered. I narrowed my eyes slightly before turning to Dinah. "What's his deal?"

"Long day at work. Come on, let's get you out of that coat so we can dance."

Dinah took my coat and disappeared, so I sat on the couch next to a group of people who were debating obnoxiously about how good every song that played really was. Time seemed to flow like drying cement, and every time I checked the clock on the wall, it seemed like the minute hand wasn't moving at all. Despite the music and the people surrounding me, I felt like I had nothing to do but stare at the wall.

Dinah still wasn't back after a few minutes, so I took my phone out and started playing a game.

Naveen invited you to a team for missions.

I smiled, deliberating for a brief moment before deciding to join. Two minutes into a deathmatch, Dinah collapsed onto the couch beside me with two drinks.

"Give me that, thank you."

"I was playing a game."

She rolled her eyes, "And that's weird. So... do you see anyone you like."

I turned to face her. "You're not serious right?"

"Oh I'm dead serious. Not being in a relationship doesn't mean you can't get some every now and then right? So I was thinking that guy over there. He's Aiden's friend, a surgeon too, very hot. Why do I know this? Because I've accidentally seen things."

"Dinah Jane..."

"What?"

I shook my head, "Never mind. I guess he's okay."

"Amazing, let's go and talk to him."

She pulled me up before I could protest and dragged me over to him. "Hey Jay, so this is my friend Normani that I was telling you about," Dinah nudged me forward so hard that I bumped into him and spilt half my drink on his shirt."I am so sorry."

"It's okay, don't worry about it. I'm Jay," He held his hand out.

"Normani," I answered awkwardly.

"Okay I will leave you two to it."

"No Dinah wait—"

Okay she's definitely being weird.

I started to walk away from Jay when he caught me by the hand. "We may as well talk since she went to so much trouble to set this up."

"Dinah?"

"Yeah Dinah told me you want something casual because you're a single mom and kids are baggage. But you're pretty much down for anything—"

"–Wait what?"

He grimaced, "Don't be mad at her, they're going through something and it kind of involves you and I guess this is her way of reassuring him—"u