Chapter 4: Are you serious?

Rory's POV:

She is sitting there beside Tristan contemplating his offer. Damn, he looks hot and he seems to have really grown up. Would this be a smart decision? I would have my freedom and I wouldn't be stuck in Stars Hollow with my mom and everyone trying to get me to join the thirty-something gang. she shivered as the thought of them crossed her mind.

She looked at Tristan as he watched the emotions go across her face. 

"Tristan, are you sure you want me to live with you and only buy groceries?" She asked shyly.

"Mare, I am absolutely sure. If I wasn't I wouldn't have made the offer. I own this place and only pay utilities. I still have most of my trust fund left plus some of my savings from when I worked with the academy. So, financially I am good."

"Okay, then I happily accept your offer. I do have to get things squared away at home with the gazette before I can make my move permanent. Meaning I can start moving in later this week but I will have to make trips back to Stars Hollow to get the paper out for the next couple of weeks or so."

Tristan's entire face lit up and a huge smile came across his face. "Alright, Mare that sounds fine. I can help you load and get your boxes moved if you need me to. This weekend I can make a trip to that weird little town of yours. We can load up your boxes and clothes." 

Rory smiled, "thanks Tristan this really means a lot and I promise to get on my feet as soon as possible. So I don't plan on hindering your bachelorhood for very long."

"So, tell me Tristan besides becoming a counselor what else have you been up to since you left Chilton our junior year?"

"Well, I got sent to Fishburne Military Academy in Virginia. I graduated and came back to New York and attended NYU. I received my MD in counseling and I returned to work at the Academy to help troubled kids."

"I finished my contract out and decided I wanted to get my PH.D. as a counselor. I sold my house and bought this loft. I have been back for maybe three months. That is pretty much how my life has been since we last saw each other. Very boring and dull." 

"Really? That's it that's your life. The party animal must have really settled down. No relationships or anything over the last fourteen years?"

"Yes, that is my life. There have been no relationships and very few one-night stands in the last fourteen years. I made a few friends when I was at the academy. We still stay in touch. That is really all."

"Why? I mean if you don't mind me asking."

"Because there was this girl I never could get to go out with me and then I got sent away like an idiot and lost my chance. I just haven't been able to get over her." He looked down and then back up and met her eyes. 

"Tristan, that is so sad. May I ask who she was? I think I have a good idea but just asking for clarification." 

"'Well, I really would prefer to keep her identity hidden. I am sure you are right but let's just focus on your future and getting that sparkle back in your eye. So you turned down a marriage proposal. Was it bagboy?"

"Since you left a lot has changed. No, Dean and I broke up again while I was still at Chilton, he got married right out of high school to Lindsey. I started dating Jess but then he ran off and we broke up. Then, Dean and I got back together while I was in college. I cheated with Dean on his wife and that's when I lost my virginity. Then, we dated for a bit during my sophomore year until he came to my grandparents and there were some friends. He told me he didn't belong and he just left."   

"So, my Mary assumption was right at least through what your freshman year in college?" He snickered. 

"Yes, it was. Now, anyway, we broke up for good during my sophomore year when my grandparents decided to throw me a Yale Meat party to try and get me a Yale man. Then, I met Logan Huntzeberger. We dated casually with no strings attached until I couldn't do that anymore and I tried to end it."

'After that, we dated seriously for almost three years. We lived together for about a year. He proposed the night before I graduated and I said not right now he said now or never and we broke up. Until we started that stupid Vegas agreement."

"Mary, Mary quite contrary isn't my Mary anymore. You are definitely not a Mary anymore I think you are even wilder than me and that is saying something." He chuckled as he saw the look on her face.

"It was a joke Mare you will always be my Mary. I am just shocked at everything you just revealed. I just have to say I am really proud of you for putting a stop to the relationship or nonrelationship and ending it with Logan. Now, we are going to work on you."

"Thank you, Tristan. You don't make me feel bad about my past. You haven't judged me. I really appreciate that. I need a friend that doesn't make me feel bad. Like Paris does."

"So you and Paris are still in touch?"

"Yes, she was my roommate through all of our college years until I moved in with Logan then I moved back in my senior year and Logan even lived with us. Needless to say, she didn't like Logan either. I am actually staying here with her or was supposed to until next week. Now I think I am going to head back to Stars Hollow so I can start packing."

Tristan smiled a big smile. "I am really happy you accepted my offer. Now, I won't be alone all the time. My parents were starting to worry I would become a hermit."  

"I would never let that happen. I am really happy we ran into each other. I have always wondered what happened to you and where you were in life. I got really sad after you got sent off. I did enjoy not being called Mary."

"Well, that makes me happy that you won't allow me to turn into a hermit. You know you liked my teasing. See you missed me after all. I am sure you missed me calling you Mary." They both busted out laughing. 

"This has been nice catching up, Tristan. I can't wait to tell Paris that I ran into you. She still thinks she loves you."

"It really has Mare. How about I take you out to dinner tonight and then I can drop you off at Paris'?"

"You don't have to do that Tristan."

"No, I don't have to but I want to. So, do you need to change or anything? I can even take you to her house now and then pick you up around seven. I mean only if you want. We can also hang out and watch some movies until dinner if you prefer."

"Well, I don't really need to change if we go somewhere casual. If you are going somewhere fancy I didn't even bring any of my nice dresses with me only interview clothes."

"No, we are going to go to my favorite bar that serves food. So casual is perfect. P.J. Carney's pub is really good. Have you ever been there?"

"No, I can't say I have. It sounds perfect for a night of catching up with an old friend." She noticed how Tristan winced at the word friend. Does he still like me? Am I the woman he could never get over? All these crazy thoughts going through my head.