Chapter 41: The big one

Tristan's POV:

I am walking around behind my parents as they are making sure all the decorations are right. Rory is with her parents and both of her grandmothers. 

"Tristan, we should really have these over here and the balloons together over here. Don't you agree son?"

"Mom, I think everything looks fine where it is. I mean he is one he doesn't even understand what is going on today. To him, it's just another day."

"Son, their first birthday is just as special as their thirteenth, sixteenth, eighteenth, and twenty-first."

"To us yes, to him no. He will remember the day he becomes a teenager, the day he gets his driver's license, the day he is a legal adult, and the day he can legally drink alcohol. He will not remember his first birthday nor will he care where the balloons and streamers were. You paid a lot of money to the decorators to decorate for the party. That is where they put them."

"That's right Tristan, he will remember those birthdays and not his first. This is more for you and Rory. You made it through the first year as parents and you all survived. You are also right that we paid the decorators and I want them moved. So, I will make sure they are moved." She walked away toward the decorators.

Tristan stood there and shook his head. He decided to walk over to his wife and she if she needed rescuing from her family. 

Rory's POV:

"Hey, grandma, Sookie is catering all the food and his cakes. I trust Sookie grandma Emily."

"Well, we just want to ensure everything is perfect. There will be a lot of our friends here and a lot of society families were invited. The ladies from the DAR. I just want to ensure everything is perfect."

"Emily, I have faith that Rory and Tristan have the food under control. I ordered a bar set up for the adults since there won't be many little ones here." Francine said as she smiled at Rory. 

"Oh, alright Francine let's go see if they have the bar set up. I need a drink." Emily shrugged and walked off. 

"Thanks a lot, mom for your input and for trying to help me out with grandma Emily."

"Oh, you are so welcome loin fruit. Where is the birthday boy?"

"He is currently napping. We laid him down about an hour ago. Tris and I will go bathe him and get him dressed shortly."

"There is my lovely wife. Are you okay over here with your family? I was trying to come to help you when I saw you with both your grandmothers."

"I am good now since grandma Francine took Grandma Emily off to check on the bar. Did you know they invited half of society and the DAR to our son's first birthday party?"

Tristan put his arm around her, "we figured they would. We are from three very prominent society families. Just think of all the gifts Michael will get from the rich families. Luckily our friends will bring toys and things that Michael will actually enjoy. Two hours and then we are finished with the social part and we can celebrate our son's first birthday the way we want to celebrate."

"Really? We can have hamburgers, hot dogs, ice cream, and cotton candy. We can let our son smash his cake and get it all over the place?"

"Yes, we will do the proper party with your grandmas, my parents, and all their society friends. Then we will have a second party with the guys, your mom, Luke, Paris, Madeline, and Louise's kids. He can smash his cake anywhere he wants to because I ordered a smash cake and a second birthday cake with rainbow cake batter. I also asked Luke to bring hot dogs and hamburgers from the diner. I went and got tons of ice cream and cotton candy. I knew this wasn't the party we wanted."