xxxiv. sparks fly

THIRTY FOUR

RORY CLOSED HER EYES AND TOOK a deep breath

RORY CLOSED HER EYES AND TOOK a deep breath. Memories began flooding to her like a supercut – her whole life nearly flashing before her eyes. She smiled to herself as she tried to pick out the perfect one. She remembered the one she used to produce a non corporal Patronus her fifth year, where she was singing in the den of the Burrow with the Weasley's. It was strong, but she knew it wasn't strong enough. Another Christmas popped in her mind. Christmas at Grimmauld Place. Christmas spent with her dad, her brother, the Weasley's, Sirius, Lupin... all her favorite people.

She raised her wand and opened her eyes, "Expecto Patronum!"

A blue glow shot out of her wand and took the shape of a beautiful bird. Rory shrieked and jumped up and down with excitement. Her heart was bursting with the complete joy of finally being able to produce a Patronus.

"Brilliant, Rory!" Harry beamed, "Looks like your Patronus is... a parrot?"

"It's a macaw," Luna Lovegood interjected, "While technically all macaws are parrots, not all parrots are macaws. They say a macaw's facial features are as unique as our fingerprints. It suits you, Rory."

"Yeah... sure," Harry nodded. Rory looked up and saw a silvery swan zoom past her and a shiny otter from under her. It seemed many people were able to cast their Patronus.

Rory looked over as Fred and George were repeating the incantation and movement required. After a few tries, a bird flew from Fred's wand as well. The same bird also came out of George's.

"What is it?" Fred asked with a smile.

"A magpie!" Luna said, "One for sorrow, two for joy."

"What?" George asked, raising his eyebrow, "Bit depressing, isn't it?"

Rory shook her head, "Not at all. Hey! We're bird twins!"

Fred gave Rory a crisp high five. They looked down and saw a jumpy silhouette of a golden retriever as Kirsty Blaine eagerly grinned, receiving a round of applause from the McDowell twins.

Rory could almost feel everyone's happy energy. She looked around and wondered what memories they had all thought of. She made a mental note to ask Fred what he chose, knowing he wouldn't want to expose himself in front of everyone.

In the midst of gasps and shrieks of joy, the room slowly fell silent. Dobby, the House Elf had entered. Rory felt her heart beat faster. He didn't even need to explain, she knew. She knew Umbridge found out. There would be no other explanation for Dobby to come in so suddenly with such a frantic expression.