xix. like father, like daughter

NINETEEN

RORY DIDN'T REALIZE IT WAS MORNING until she heard the muffled noises of her mother and brother downstairs

RORY DIDN'T REALIZE IT WAS MORNING until she heard the muffled noises of her mother and brother downstairs. She had been up all night, not getting any sleep. She had her eyes closed thinking that maybe she'd naturally drift off. But she didn't. She was entirely numb. She didn't even feel tired. Cedric was dead. Death was something Rory was unfamiliar with. Death was final. There was no hope in death. Rory couldn't choose to be naïve and hold on to the idea he might come back like she used to with her father. Strangely enough, death was one of the few experiences everyone in the world had in common. Rory wished more people talked about it. But no one did.

Her focus shifted to the voices from below her. She assumed it was just general banter, until she heard her name. And then she heard it again. Then another time.

Rory slowly got up and left her room. She quietly sat at the top of the steps and listened to the conversation.

" — She thinks just because her friend died she can mope in bed all day. It's ridiculous." She heard her mother say.

"She's going through something, mum. Just maybe be patient." Aaron defended.

"Going through something? Aren't we all?"

Rory decided she had already had enough. She came down the stairs and locked eyes with her mother. The woman did not seem ashamed with her words, but instead happy that Rory was no longer "moping".

"Glad to see your legs work," the woman sneered.

Rory crossed her arms, unfazed. "Say whatever you want about me. I don't care."

"So you only came down here to argue with me?" She scoffed.

"Yes, actually." Rory said firmly. She was still completely numb. Nothing was going to make her feel anything. She was bulletproof in front of her mother.

"Well I was just telling Aaron that your laziness disgusts me. Reminds me of your father. No ambition. You just think the world stops because something bad happens. Well guess what, Aurora... it doesn't."

"Maybe I wouldn't be so bloody depressed if I felt like anybody cared about me in this stupid house." She responded, her voice now getting louder.

Christine stomped her foot down at Rory's words, "Oh so blame us why don't you! I'm sorry I'm the worst mother ever, then, yeah? Is that what you want me to say!"

The curtains behind Rory began blowing softly despite the window being closed, "Shut up!" She shouted, "I am so sick of you. I am so sick of being hated by you for absolutely no reason! I never did anything to you and you always found a reason to make me miserable! Nothing I have ever done was up to your standard and I've had enough! You don't get to tell me how to grieve. Not when you haven't even done so much as ask if I was okay." It was true. Cedric had only died less than two weeks ago, and her mother barely spoke to her in the time she was home.