lxix. as the world caves in

SIXTY NINE

RORY HELD HER WAND TIGHTLY in her hand as it began

RORY HELD HER WAND TIGHTLY in her hand as it began. Midnight. They had come into the castle. Slowly breaking every protection spell placed on it. She was ready though. Ready to fight, ready to avenge her brother, ready to win. They had set up students and adults at each of the several passageways and had just secured one on sixth floor with Marina, Angelina and Lee holding down the fort.

"You three stay here, we're going up to the seventh floor!" Rory said loudly over the noise around them.

"You two go," George said, "I'll stay down here." He glanced at Marina.

Fred gave a strange look to his brother, "Everything alright with you, Georgie?"

George nodded firmly, "Yeah. You?"

"Just peachy." Fred smiled, "See you in a bit. C'mon, Ror, let's go."

Rory nodded and turned around towards the staircase. She ran up to the first landing where she then froze. A pair of golden eyes met her with a devilish smirk.

"You," she said with coldness. She held her wand so tight she thought it might break. The man just snickered.

"Nice to see you again, pretty," he said. McDowell had looked more evil than ever. She wasn't afraid though. His wand was out, right below her chin and she could feel the curse rising up this throat.

Before she could do anything, a voice came next to them, causing his demeanor to change completely.

"Hey, Dad!" Cleo shouted, approaching them with her brother beside her.

He seemed slightly shocked to see his children, "Cleo? Zane? What are you —"

"Save it, you sick fuck," Zane spat.

Cleo smirked, walking towards her father, now that his back was against the bannister, "Get away from my friends."

And then, she punched her dad square in the face and he fell backwards, losing his balance, and tumbling down the path of twisted staircases. The girl looked pleased with herself, staring at her fist like it was made of gold.

"Wow," Fred said with an approving nod.

Zane held out a hand to his twin and she gave him a low high five with a smile. The two then ran down the steps and continued fighting. The stairway was now practically empty. Fred looked at Rory and Rory looked at him.

Then, she grabbed him by the shirt and kissed him like the world was ending, which it pretty much was.

Rory took a deep breath and whispered the childish words, "Made you look."

"I love you, Rory," Fred smiled, "C'mon, let's go."

"I love you too," she nodded and grabbed his hand, leading him up the rest of the steps that led to the seventh floor. They saw a head of flaming red hair at the end of the corridor and ran towards it. The image of Percy fighting off two Death Eaters became clear.