lviii. the morning after

FIFTY EIGHT

THE NEXT MORNING, Andrew arrived at the Burrow

THE NEXT MORNING, Andrew arrived at the Burrow. The sound of his loud voice woke her up. Fred was awake as well, but still holding her protectively.

"SHE'S SLEEPING, ANDREW!" Molly's voice rang from below.

"I'M NOT LEAVING HERE UNTIL I SEE MY DAUGHTER!" He snapped back. Rory got up, wincing as she accidentally put pressure on her wrists to prop herself up.

"Ah!" she yelped, pulling her arm up and rubbing her wrist.

"Are you alright?" Fred whispered, "Mum brought up the painkiller potion she'd been giving George for you, so you can walk alright... here." He held out a small vial to her, filled with a light pink liquid. She sighed and drank the contents. It didn't taste like anything, which was nice. She feared it would be like the poison called cough syrup she'd drink as a kid. However it was flavorless and went down smoothly. The relief was almost instantaneous. She was still sore, but there was no blinding pain that shot through her body like hours before.

Her and Fred walked down the stairs, the smell of the hot breakfast they were promised engulfing their senses.

"See! You woke her up!" Molly snapped at Andrew. Andrew ignored her and went to hug his daughter, softly.

"Your wrists... your ankles..." he said, "Here, come to the couch. I'll redo your bandages. They shouldn't take long to heal... what was it? What caused this? What did they do to you?"

Rory realized she hadn't told anyone about her interrogation, she was too stunned afterwards to speak and couldn't in front of the Death Eaters.

Andrew led Rory to the sofa where she sat down.

"Well..." she swallowed hard, "first, I lied about my name. I dunno if they could tell or not but, the one, Avery, he shot these black ropes from his wand. It wasn't even bad, not at first. They asked if I knew where he was and I... I pretended like I didn't know what they were talking about. They didn't buy it... they brought someone else in —"

Rory shut her eyes as the families sting of tears crept to her brown eyes. In her mind, the image of McDowell appeared. She gasped and opened them, not wanting to picture him.

"Er... well, McDowell. I worked for his wife up until a month ago when her and her kids went into hiding. Maybe he knew who I was and knew I was lying from the start. But he asked me the same questions and when I wouldn't answer again he tightened my ropes. I begged him to... to stop but..."

"You don't have to go on if you can't," Andrew said softly, "I understand. When something like that happens, oftentimes reliving it is just as bad. You can talk when you're ready —"