viii. this is why we can't have nice things

EIGHT

"GAMBLING? REALLY, GUYS?" Rory sighed, shaking her head with disappointment

"Well it worked out fine didn't it," George grinned.

The World Cup had just ended with a triumphant win from Ireland despite Bulgaria catching the snitch. The twins had made a bet on that exact outcome and won the money they needed to really start Weasley Wizarding Wheezes. Rory didn't agree with what they did but, the ends justified the means.

When they reached back at their tent they were staying in, none of the kids were really in the mood for sleep. Their energy levels were at an all time high as the atmosphere was just as energetic. Mr. Weasley, although a bit reluctant, let them have one last cup of hot cocoa before they turned in. They all got into friendly discourse about the match, but Mr. Weasley soon ended it when Ginny fell asleep on the table and split her cocoa. Hermione, Ginny, and Rory went to the next tent over leaving the boys alone.

"Ugh," Ginny groaned as she changed into her pajamas, "Why does everyone have to be so loud."

Rory slipped a raggedy tank top and a pair of sleep shorts on and climbed into bed. She watched as Ginny stumbled around getting up to the top bunk of her and Hermione's beds.

"Goodnight, Ginny" She giggled, "You too, Hermione. Sweet dreams."

"Sweet dreams, Rory." Hermione said.

Rory slipped into a deep sleep rather quickly. Her body was completely exhausted from being up so early the night before. It was a dreamless sleep, one that feels as if you just blinked and awoke hours later. Except hours had not passed. Or at least she didn't think they did. Because when Rory woke up it was still very dark out.

Mr. Weasley had run into their tent without much explanation. He told them to get outside as soon as they could and there wasn't time to explain. Rory grabbed her wand, a jacket, and ran out of the tent with Ginny and Hermione. For a second, Rory thought the tent had magically transported somewhere else because what she was witnessing was not anything like she had ever seen before. At first, it was a blur. She saw people running into the woods, a group of people marching... she looked around and saw flashes of green light and what looked like figures floating in the air. She didn't have much time to process what was happening when Mr. Weasley shouted, "We're going to help the Ministry! You lot — get into the woods and stick together. I'll come fetch you when we've sorted this out!"

"C'mon," Fred said as he grabbed Ginny's hand. Together, the seven of them ran into the woods. Chaos still erupting around them, they kept moving forward towards the dark, twisted woods. Rory didn't look back until they were deep enough to know they were safe. When they turned around they noticed (of course) that Ron, Harry, and Hermione were no longer behind them.

"Shit," Fred groaned sitting on a tree log. "Did any of you see where they went?"

Rory shook her head and sat down next to him. Her body was still in shock, not even processing how cold it was for an August night.