iv. pretty boy

FOUR

RORY LOVED HOGWARTS, BUT coming back to school work after Christmas at the Burrow, made her realise why the twins weren't so fond of school

RORY LOVED HOGWARTS, BUT coming back to school work after Christmas at the Burrow, made her realise why the twins weren't so fond of school. It was a complete reality shock, especially with O.W.Ls approaching at the end of term. Rory's favourite classes were Defense Against the Dark Arts and Muggle Studies. She hated hearing people insult Muggle Studies because to her, it was really important to learn about. Kids from Muggle families spend seven years at Hogwarts learning about every aspect of the wizarding world, so she felt kids from wizard families should have to take Muggle Studies at least once to be more worldly in their perception of those around them. She didn't think it was fair so many students could walk around with such ignorance.

Defense Against the Dark Arts was usually not her favourite class, but Professor Lupin changed that for her. He made every detail seem so interesting and most days she'd be sad class was over.

Today was a particularly interesting lesson for Rory. They were learning all about Patronus charms, as being able to cast one was worth bonus points on their O.W.Ls and it was a very difficult spell. Next to her, George was dozing off and Fred was throwing Bertie Bott's Every Flavored Beans in Marina's hair. Lupin wasn't paying attention though, he seemed so immersed in his lesson he didn't care who was listening. Even if he did notice, he certainly didn't mind. Rory also liked Defense Against the Dark Arts because they took it with the Hufflepuffs. Which meant she didn't feel stupid like she did around the Ravenclaws and she wasn't afraid of being judged like she did with the Slytherins. Not that either house inherently possessed those traits, it was just those who did were very adamant about it.

"Now, in order to conjure a Patronus charm you need to think of your happiest memory... can everybody close your eyes for me and find that memory?" Lupin said softly. Rory closed her eyes and scanned her mind for a memory happy enough to produce a Patronus.

Winning her first Quidditch match? No, not quite. It wasn't a unique memory since she'd won so many after it.

The day she and the twins stole the Marauders map? It was a bit sad now since the map was no longer with them.

Her first time at the Burrow... no... Christmas at the Burrow. Singing in the Weasley's living room, that was it. She smiled wildly, her eyes still closed. She kept them closed until she felt a tap on her back. She opened her eyes and turned around.

Cedric "Pretty Boy" Diggory was leaning over with a folded piece of parchment in his hands. Confused, Rory grabbed it and he shot her a wink. She turned around quickly and blushed.

As she slowly opened the parchment, she felt a jelly bean hit the back of her head. She turned to Fred who was behind her diagonally and gave him a dirty look.

He pointed to Diggory then to the note in her hand and shrugged as to say what's that? Rory shrugged and read the contents.

Rory,