xliii. the order of the pheonix

FORTY THREE

DEAR RORY,

I miss having you here at school. Things have changed a lot. We got a new Potions professor! His name is Professor Slughorn. He taught when dad was in school. Dad must have been good at Potions because Slughorn invited me to join this club of students he has. We get to go to dinners and there's a Christmas party. Ginny is in it too, along with Harry and Hermione. It's not that bad. The only thing is, now Snape is the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher! It's the worst! I mean, maybe not as bad as Umbridge I guess.

Lots of kids haven't come back. Some are being pulled during lessons to be sent home. One of our Prefects, Hannah Abbott had to leave because her mother was killed. I'm getting worried. About you, dad, Cory... everyone. Even mum. I know, she's awful, but they're killing muggles too! It just scares me. I hope everyone is staying safe. I can't wait for Christmas with everyone!

Thanks for the birthday gift, by the way! The cookies were delicious! And tell the twins thank you for their gift! Luna and I have been playing with the Reusable Hangman nonstop. It's been a fun distraction from everything else.

I hope business is well at both shops. The McDowell twins and their blonde friend have been talking to me a lot more lately. They're funny. I like them. Cleo let's me use her nail polish so now I'm ten times cooler (you should send me some from the shop.... only if you want though). I still miss you a lot. Professor Burbage was asking about you and I said all is well so don't make a liar out of me!

Write back when you can. I love you lots.

Your brother,
Aaron

Rory smiled as she read the sentiments dancing across the parchment. She was glad Aaron was doing alright and things were not so awful for him. He was good at keeping positive, it was definitely the Hufflepuff in him.

The girl decided she would write back the next day, because she had places to be.

Something amazing about leaving Hogwarts was that she could finally officially join The Order of the Phoenix. Every other time they had a meeting, neither Rory or the twins could make it due to their conflicting schedules. However, they finally all had a day off in mid November.

Rory insisted they walk since it was only just twenty minutes from them. Fred and George seemed against the idea because "it's cold!" But Rory told them to bundle up and get over it. The girl grabbed the first scarf she could find and put her warmest jacket on. The three of them exited Diagon Ally through the Leaky Cauldron and began walking towards their destination. The girl held the gold and black yarn on her neck close to her and shoved her hands in her pockets.