xxvi. bring your daughter to work day

TWENTY SIX

"DAD IS STILL ALIVE, I am setting out for St

"DAD IS STILL ALIVE, I am setting out for St. Mungo's now. Stay where you are. I will send news as soon as I can. Mum." George looked around the table. "Still alive..." he said slowly. "But that makes it sound..."

Rory sipped her butterbeer anxiously as everyone looked around the table with worried expressions. They had been at Grimmauld Place for just not even an hour and Mrs. Weasley had got a letter to them to convey the news of her husband's health. Everyone was silent.

"Perhaps you should all try and get some sleep," Sirius said quietly. However, Rory and the others shot him a look mixed with disgust and concern and everyone remained seated.

The night passed quietly. Every now and then, someone would take a small sip of butterbeer or check the time.

"He's in good hands," Rory reassured, "My dad has told me about the people who work there — some of the brightest witches and wizards in Britain."

"Yeah..." Ginny nodded, "If something was wrong, we'd know right away anyways. Mum wouldn't leave us in the dark." The girl placed her head on Rory's shoulder as Fred dozed off next to her. Rory shut her eyes, not meaning to fall asleep, but was awakened sharply by the noise of the kitchen door swinging open.

It was Mrs. Weasley.

"He's going to be all right," she said in a tired voice. "He's sleeping. We can all go and see him later. Bill's sitting with him now, he's going to take the morning off work."

Rory felt a large weight lift from her chest and she took what felt like the first breath all night. Fred leaned back in his chair and placed his hand over his face. Ron laughed shakily and finished his butterbeer and Ginny got up to give her mother a hug.

"Breakfast!" said Sirius loudly and joyfully, jumping to his feet."Where's that accursed house-elf? Kreacher! KREACHER!" But Kreacher did not answer his call. "Oh, forget it, then," muttered Sirius, counting the people in front of him. "So it's breakfast for — let's see — eight... Bacon and eggs, I think, and some tea, and toast —" 

Rory and Harry exchanged a look and nodded, getting up to help Sirius as to not intrude on the family's joy. Although at times, Mr. Weasley felt like a father to her, it still did not seem right. However Mrs. Weasley joined them, thanked Harry, and threw on an apron. Harry pulled Sirius aside for a chat and left Rory alone with Mrs. Weasley.

Ever since Rory had begun dating Fred she was a bit more cautious around the woman. She was afraid of doing anything that would warrant the woman to not like her or to think she wasn't worthy of dating her son. However, Mrs. Weasley was still treating the girl all the same.