lxiv. the babysitter's club

SIXTY FOUR

"WHY DID YOU THINK this was going to be a good idea?" Fred sighed

"WHY DID YOU THINK this was going to be a good idea?" Fred sighed. Emily was in his arms, crying loudly, something Rory had never heard her do.

"Oh I dunno!" Rory snapped, "Sorry for wanting my parents to celebrate Cordelia's birthday away from a crying child! I'm being a good sister! Besides, this will be good for us. One day we'll have a child of our own — a very long time from now — and we'll be glad we had the practice!"

"There's the Rory I know and love, always looking at the bright side," Fred rolled his eyes and slowly bounced the baby in his arms. She only cried louder.

"Maybe try the rocking chair?" Rory suggested with a weak shrug.

Fred begrudgingly sat down on the small rocking chair in the corner and slowly rocked Emily, but no success. Rory sighed and handed him the warm bottle and he ungratefully accepted it, placing it in the baby's mouth. With her small but powerful arms, she whacked the bottle away and it hit the ground.

Fred glared at Rory and she sighed and carefully took her sister from him.

"Why don't you sing to her?" Fred asked.

"That'll just make her cry more," Rory rolled her eyes, "I'll try. You are my sunshine, my only sunshine —" Emily wasn't a fan of that either and fruitfully hit Rory in the face with her flailing hand. "Ouch! This girl is impossible."

"Well she's definitely your sister."

"Oi! Fuck off, Weasley! Maybe we should go downstairs and turn on the Telly for her!"

Fred hesitated, "I have an idea."

Rory huffed and sat down on the rocking chair, Fred handed her the bottle and kneeled in front of her. He got his wand out and pointed it above Emily. Gold whisps shot out and circled around, taking the shape of small animals and began moving about. Emily's cries slowed down and she let out a small giggle. Rory placed the bottle in her mouth successfully and the child drank the contents.

"Freddie!" Rory whispered, "You did it!"

He smiled softly, "Impressive, right?"

"Now we just need to get her to sleep," Rory sighed. "Dunno why people say the phrase 'sleeping like a baby'.... Cory says Emily wakes her up every few hours to eat!"

"Poor woman," Fred shook his head, "alright, I think she'll be fine now if I —"

Emily began crying again as Fred put his wand away. He sighed and got it back out, once again sending out a whirl of golden animal figures, circling above her head.