xxxi. chivalry is not dead

THIRTY ONE

RORY SIGHED AS THE HOT WATER hit her skin in the locker room showers

RORY SIGHED AS THE HOT WATER hit her skin in the locker room showers. They had been practicing Quidditch for hours. It was nearly freezing cold, they still had to adjust to the new team, and Rory got hit in the shoulder with a Bludger and was now badly bruised. She was in an overall grouchy mood. She had missed her first Valentine's Day with Fred and one of her last trips to Hogsmeade. Practice wasn't easy either. The McDowell twins and Ginny were good, but it was hard maintaining the same chemistry as they had having nearly the same team for years.

Angelina and Katie had got in a screaming match mid-air about halfway through which made things especially more difficult. Luckily they made up in the last hour of practice. Tensions were high for everyone. A hot shower is just what Rory needed. The water slightly stung her freezing skin but felt good nonetheless.

The girl was silent on her way up to the common room, everyone was. Nobody was in the mood to speak. Rory just wanted to go to sleep, she didn't care about dinner or any of her homework at the moment. She did care about seeing Fred though and hoped he would be around when she got to the common room.

Luckily, he was. He seemed to have that smirk he had when he was hiding something, but she brushed it off.

"Hello, beautiful," he said giving her a kiss, "Happy Valentine's Day."

She sighed, "I'm so sorry we couldn't do anything today, Fred. I'll make it up to you —"

"No need. Do you want to just hang out down here tonight? Why don't you change into something comfortable and come back down. Have you eaten yet?"

"Not yet," she shook her head, "I'll put my sweats on and maybe we can get dinner in a bit."

She went up to her dormitory where Angelina was also changing into her most comfortable outfit. Marina didn't seem to be in the room, which Rory thought was strange but as she thought about it she hadn't seen Marina too much in the past few days. Rory changed out of her practice clothes and into grey sweatpants and a white t shirt, she finally felt comfortable after hours of being cold and sweaty.

She headed down the steps and noticed the common room looked... different. It was now completely free of students except for Fred and the furniture had moved around.

Rory looked around and saw a table with two chairs were by the fire, the wireless was softly playing music, and makeshift paper hearts were hung around the room.

She looked at Fred who was smiling softly.

"Did you do all this?" She asked.