xxiv. the highs and lows of inter-house quidditch

TWENTY FOUR

DUMBLEDORE'S ARMY

DUMBLEDORE'S ARMY. THAT WAS WHAT they decided to call themselves. Rory found it fitting, she felt as if they were a baby Order of the Phoenix almost. The first few meetings had gone well. Just simple disarming spells to sharpen up the basics. It still felt good to get that fix Umbridge was depriving her of.

Andrew had written back swiftly to Rory's letter regarding her hatred for Umbridge.

Rory,

I wish I could say there was something you could do about this Umbridge woman but... unfortunately the Ministry yields too much power right now for even Dumbledore to stop their meddling. I hope you work things out, just try not to get in trouble. I'm very excited to see the match, I've called off work in advance so I won't miss it. Tonks and I will be in the visitors' section (yes, Tonks. She practically begged to go and I needed a companion). Let me know if you need anything else, dear.

With love,
Dad

However, that was the last time they could discuss the topic, given Umbridge began surveillancing their owls.

The Saturday of the match approached, but not easily. It had become nearly impossible for Gryffindor to get any practice in with Snape booking the field for Slytherin constantly. On top of that, Slytherin had began jinxing members of the Gryffindor team and threatened to hex them during the actual match. Despite the odds being stacked against them, Rory felt they had a good shot at winning.

The morning of the match, the seventh years on the team decided an early breakfast was best, so their stomachs would settle in time for the match. They went back to the common room straight after to get ready and listen to their pump-up music.

Rory personally loved pre-game jitters. To her, there was no better feeling than the rush of adrenaline the morning before a match. Seeing everyone in their Gryffindor colors, ready to support them. Students decorating the common room for the after party, painting their favorite players number on their faces, and giving them high fives or words of encouragement in passing. It all made Rory more excited than nervous.

As Angelina crouched over parchment, adjusting their game plans, Rory helped Fred and George set up the wireless in the common room and got it to play a heavy rock song Rory didn't recognize.

"I wish we could find the muggle stations." Fred sighed, "I really liked that Nirvana group."

Rory laughed and ruffled Fred's hair, "It's alright, love. I'm sure we can figure something out. Find a way to bring you some muggle music."