xxii. badges, brooms, and brothers

TWENTY TWO

BOOKLISTS ARRIVING WAS A NICE surprise

BOOKLISTS ARRIVING WAS A NICE surprise. Rory always enjoyed seeing the curriculum for the upcoming year, it made her even more excited for school. The twins quickly opened their letters and scanned it with excitement. Rory nearly forgot she had one and peered over to look at Fred's.

"Well would you look at this, Georgie!" Fred gasped.

"Oh boy, we 'ought to tell the others." George smirked.

"Tell them what?" Rory asked, before they answered her, there was a crack and they were gone. The girl groaned and ran down the steps into Ron and Harry's room, where the boys were sitting, reading their letters.

"We were just wondering who assigned the Slinkhard book," said Fred. Rory raised an eyebrow and carefully opened her letter to investigate what they were discussing. She noticed something heavy as she unfolded the parchment. She wasn't even paying attention to what the twins were telling Harry as she saw what was included in her letter.

A gold and crimson badge that read, Head Girl.

She looked over at Ron, who also had a badge in hand and his mouth was wide open.

"What's up with you two?" asked George. Ron and Rory did not answer.

"What's the matter?" said Fred impatiently, moving around Ron to look over his shoulder at the letter. "Prefect?" he said, staring at the letter. "Prefect?"

"No way," said George in a hushed voice. "Wait, Rory... are you -?"

"Head Girl..." she said slolwly, "I'm Head Girl!"

"Well... that's great, Rory!" Fred smiled wrapping an arm around her and giving her a kiss on the top of her head.

"Ron on the other hand..." George rolled his eyes.

"Prefect... ickle Ronnie the prefect..." Fred sighed. Rory shot the boys a dirty look, she hated when they teased Ron.

"Oh, Mum's going to be revolting," groaned George.

Hermione busted in the room with a badge in hand as well. Rory felt a bit bad for the twins and Harry for a moment. But really, she pitied Ron. Hermione came in congratulating Harry, assuming he had gotten it.

Another person joined them all, Mrs. Weasley came in with a basket of freshly folded laundry.

"Ginny said the booklists had come at last," she said, glancing around at all the envelopes and sorting the clothes into piles on the bed. "If you give them to me I'll take them over to Diagon Alley this afternoon and get your books while you're packing. Ron, I'll have to get you more pajamas, these are at least six inches too short, I can't believe how fast you're growing... what color would you like?"

"Get him red and gold to match his badge," said George, smirking.

"Match his what?" said Mrs. Weasley absently, focused on her laundry.