Chapter 3. With Only Touch

Crescent's contentment today was going along after the first day of school, being quite the event. Still being able to make it to class on time after Ahni struggled to wake him this morning.

The dorm room had a lot of space; double twin beds, so they didn't have to share. They placed their uniforms in the extensive wardrobe. There's a personal bathroom in the room, full. Crescent couldn't ask for more.

Two desks and a small fridge/microwave for their snacks. The only thing it needed— a kitchen. Classes were serene. Teachers seemed oblivious to the rough-looking students. Even stepping up to some of them and informing them their clothing wasn't up to standard. Looked to be a normal school and most of the students seemed interested in learning.

Strange to witness someone who looked like a criminal sitting and following instructions. At least Crescent believed that until it was lunchtime. The truth came out then. With zero authority around, but a few lunch ladies who looked like they didn't want to be there. The students helped themselves to let loose.

Some of them did illegal substances. Someone had decorated one table in graffiti and a guy sat there hugging the leg, sniffing damp paint.

Crescent scoffed. In front of the teachers, they acted with sense. Some students separated themselves into smaller groups. Crescent only guessed these students weren't into illegal activities. After taking in the scenery, he decided it would be a good idea to find a seat in the middle of the chaos. So, he paused in an aisle looking around at the bodies to spot anything empty.

A metal table with only two bench seats sat dead in the center of the room. With his tray clenched in his hands, he made way. He worried someone would hit him and knock the contents of his tray onto the floor.

It also led to a clear path where he had just picked up his food. With Ahni behind a few students in the line, Crescent was aware he would join him, eventually. Slipping into the seat with a soft sigh, Crescent looked at the way Ahni would be coming. If he needed to, he'd wave him down.

Glancing into his tray to see what they served, he decided on the second combo listed on the lunch menu. Turkey sub, his choice of chips was plain in flavor, unsalted, and apple juice, sided with cheese squares and a pudding.

He furrowed his brows. This looked like a child's tray. Maybe he could swap it for Ahni's if he had better items. The cookies looked great; however, they had a price tag.

He could have offered himself some free samples, but it was day two. Getting in trouble now wasn't on his top three. He was informed by the last class teacher that lunch was only forty-five minutes. A little time to reflect.

Reaching out a hand he fished around for the cheese and without looking popped one between his lips. Crescent watched the path for Ahni, but it soon left his mind to wander. The Gauntlet.

He was confident in his abilities after having fought so many times growing up, but Crescent could only remember Saikai's words. 'His own risk.' He didn't spend his life growing up on the street just to become a great member of society.

Fucked up, right? That wasn't meant for Crescent, and he sure didn't feel like it would ever be. He had grown so used to the darkness that he didn't know how to live without it. In the world where he was from, there was nothing to lose but life itself. Having nothing in the first place, Crescent struggled with a lot and many of those things were how to love... anyone. The sound of a tray clanging on the table beside him brings him from his thoughts.

Without looking, Crescent assumes Ahni had found him and was taking a seat.

"You're late. I sat here thinking you were coming from that way," Crescent said impatiently.