Chapter 24. Ralp The Nuisance

Brisk cold air blew stray gusts of wind. Crescent's thin windbreaker couldn't hold his heat, arms tucked by his side to block whatever they could.

He shivered, a slow blink of his eyes cast his worry, but his face rested with loneliness. Standing on the side of the gymnasium exit, his weight against the brick, Crescent's paranoia continued to remain high. Every Elite he passed in the hall today got a stare-down, hoping that they wouldn't be the ones to take him out.

They have been showing up more in general public since coming back from Hilla Cure. Maybe a tactic to keep an eye on the halls.

Without any protection from Asho, Saikai promised he would be returning in a few days and Kisha had to deal with his own issues that only left Crescent in the presence of Ahni. Between his fingers, his device was clutched for comfort. He hated standing here all alone looking at everything that moved.

Certain his class schedule was leaked, the brunette tried his best to not get as close to anyone as possible. The only break he got from searching his surroundings was during class. Not knowing what was instore had been a routine that plagued his mind.

Impatience, he bounced upon his heels. Impatiently, awaiting his brother who would be coming from tower two. Their classes were split so far apart due to Ahni's testing scores. He didn't receive high marks at all and Crescent knew he was partially to blame for that.

Ahni hasn't been in a school setting since they stayed with their Aunt. He was a child. Crescent tried to teach him all that he knew, but even then he was limited on things. Maybe within these walls, Ahni would be able to learn more than anything and become that smart adult he often talked about. Crescent was sure it would take years for him to achieve it, but he was determined.

The day was turning into night and the traces of the sun began to say its goodbyes with a lovely trail of colors. If the world was as peaceful as the transitioning sky, would Crescent be alright staring at it every day? He couldn't make such promises and though his brother was a fantasizer, Crescent often too dived into deep questions. He just didn't let anyone know he was that naive.

What purpose would it give?

A wind chill hit him again, and he closed his eyes huddling up. He was a small figure standing here, watching the trees and bushes dance. The courtyard in front of him was empty, newly painted grass prepped for the upcoming snowy season. Every chance he got, he would sit by the window in the classroom and count the number of men coming to spray over the brown patches.

Tables were empty, leaves left to pile at the legs, his focus trying to calm alertness until his ears picked up the faint scraping of sneakers against the pavement. Though he didn't want to look, his gaze traveled with composure. Inside the burn of something happening to him racked his mind. It was only Ahni and he calmed, but Ahni had been pointing with the widest smile on his face at the space beside him.

Crescent could do nothing but bask in the innocent image. How could someone go through so much and smile? He too smiled, but that wasn't what it felt like inside. Was this Ahni's way of trying to be positive or had he truly been happy?

"Crescent! Look, I made a new friend! He came up to me during art! He's really cool!" A small chuckle Crescent heard from Ahni as he followed his brother's enthusiastic aura. Landing upon a familiar figure, Crescent watched the black-haired male give a slight wave.

"We meet again, Mr. Bride." A cool airy tone, excited to see him. These two had a different feel about them. They reminded him of the grass. While he stood before the painted, drowning in brown spots and dying blades, Ralp and Ahni resided on top of the newly painted grass.