Chapter 15. No Old Tales

This wasn't the norm. When they fought or disagreed with each other; when Saikai went too far, it would take a few hours to rekindle as if nothing was lost. A whole day passed and then some.

Saikai ramped up security during more vulnerable times and the two sat in quiet whenever around gang members. It was clear that Kisha resonated with the indifference because Saikai would often find his eyes looking over his friend.

Saikai hadn't seen this side of him, not knowing how to handle it. Not even an acknowledgment from his best friend. Found comfort in averted eyes and distance. Kisha had always been a man of personal space, but this was too much.

Nothing had been able to rock their bond before. In a matter of minutes, they acted like strangers. To think giving Kisha his space would increase the tension in the room. He refused to accept that maybe his antics were way too far this time. Kisha wasn't a sensitive person, so the guilt within Saikai to know he messed up was a lot. He skipped classes today, sitting silently on the bed as his closest friend sat in a recliner across the room.

Head bent, arms crossed, body slumped, Kisha remained for hours with nothing but the slow rising of his chest. To be in thought for that long, or even sleeping in that position worried Saikai.

Was he depressed?

Due to Kisha's personality, he was aware of his stubbornness. Kisha would stand on a needle for a few weeks if it meant him being rebellious and not wanting to listen. It would take Saikai to approach, to mend and them sitting alone was the perfect time. Shifting on his bed, he turned his frame to face Kisha. Drawing one knee up, cupped by demanding arms the redhead stared with a questionable gaze. Kisha's bath still lingered, the room filled with a warm nice smell of grapes, now wearing only his night attire.

Sweatpants and a tank top, both the same color as his uniform. Kisha's demeanor mimicked that of deep emotional disturbance, but Saikai couldn't pinpoint which emotion. Never one to show anger, Kisha was more about control. Forceful aggression and silence were his dominant personality switches. When silent, Saikai wasn't sure if he was just being moody or something else. A hard to read individual even after knowing him this long. He was always this way, but it felt heavier. Pointer finger twirled at his barefoot, Saikai needed to break the ice. Were they going to sit here like this any further?

"Hey, are you still mad, Kisha?" Saikai's voice low, innocent, but his nerves ramping up. What reaction would he receive? The same as always, none. Saikai trailed his eyes downward, meeting up with the finger that now created a circle of ash-kissed skin. He needed lotion.

"I mean, can you talk to me?"

Still no answer. A long drawn-out sigh of defeat bellowed from pursed lips. The young man drew his knee closer for comfort. The jittery feeling in his skin forced him to realize how awkward this situation had become.

They stood with a cold wall, Kisha so readily built between them. The betrayal rush felt unreal and it caused panic.

"Ki--" His voice silenced as his friend shifted in his seat. Kisha pushed himself up, standing, and made no hesitation to begin leaving the room.

Walking past Saikai, Kisha ignoring him sparked worry within. His hand lashed out suddenly, gripping at a warm wrist. Kisha stopped in his tracks, but his gaze never shifted to give Saikai mental control over him.

Saikai's head fell in defeat, newly curled red strands danced downward relaxing in the air before his features. He squeezed his lids closed, expecting Kisha to retaliate; however, the two sat in growing awkwardness.

"Say... Something, Kisha." Saikai pushed in a worrisome tone. The light retraction of Kisha's arm became a clear indication he was ready to sever the hold.