Chapter 35. Inevitable

An object as dark as night sky collided with the two, a sense Crescent couldn't pick up until his weight sent him into the grass with a thud. The life that barely hung on suddenly filled like a tsunami, and his vision went from dark to a vibrant inhale of beaming colors. The rush was blinding. He began to breathe hard, unable to get that satisfying oxygen. Chocking as air rapidly filled his lungs felt like someone was stuffing him whole.

The hard blades of grass welcomed tightened fists. Heavy globs of saliva dripped from his aching pale lips. He kept his eyes shut, shoulders drawn up and head low, curled into a fetal position. Waiting. Maybe it was just a mistake and that he'd wished to be freed so much his mind played tricks on him. Maybe he was already dead.

Focus, finding out what had happened became what clearing mind sought between panic. Diamond was nowhere near him anymore; ice-cold feeling no longer crawled against him.

Crescent rolled to his side, a large fluffy object swatting against his cheek felt as though someone took a feather and lightly tickled him. Yeah, he had to be dead. His thoughts were yet to come in as his senses drifted slowly from reality and hope. The pounding headache craved attention.

Something else was near. He could feel it-- A hush of soft graze on grass engulfed all others.

The faint smell of fresh peach shampoo, mixed with wet fur reached out. He couldn't help but look up, a large black wolf standing beside him, ears, eyes, and posture attentive.

The Protector...

"K--" Hoarse wheezes and soon Crescent realizes his voice shot and his throat is very dry.

"K...isha..." Crescent struggled to speak, rolling himself onto his stomach. Kisha remained concentrating, only one ear honing in on Crescent before it flicked forward again. He didn't have the time to check on Crescent. Worried about him, but a looming threat was enough to make the dark wolf seem uncaring.

Crescent coughed more to clear his lungs, finding his breathing was coming back the more he moved and extended his chest. Pressing his hands on the ground, he weakly climbed to his feet but stumbled, falling against Kisha's hind leg for support.

Kisha stiffened his posture in response, not a flinch, not a movement but hard huffs coming from his ribs tell Crescent he should really stay still and keep quiet. Crescent ran a hand without realizing through the thick fur, unable to reach the undercoat. It was soft.

He suspected wolf fur to be rougher, designed for the climate of colder weather, but the strands resembled something similar to cat fur. A very fluffy cat that just had a day at the groomers.

Amazing. 

Being close to Kisha like this his frame on all fours still stood as tall as Crescent. The top of Kisha's back was just above his head. It was warm here, a place he could get used to. Crescent wanted to cling to Kisha and thank him for coming. Thank him for being here and show him his gratitude but then he wouldn't be Crescent if he did such weak things in front of these bimbos.

Instead, he shifted his focus...

Looking towards what Kisha was so immersed in, Crescent could see it. On all fours, Diamond snarled but still in human form. His body began contorting, changing to fit his true identity. Though painful-looking, traumatizing, and disgusting like nothing he had ever experienced, Crescent couldn't look away.

How his human fingers scrunched, changing into paws, his shoulders cracking and morphing, his jaw extending outward of a once flat human skull. Clothing shredded as Diamond's shell melted off like old acidic flesh. It dissipated in the air, smoking, and leaving nothing but bits of his uniform beneath him.