Chapter 22. Big Bad Wolf (P2)

The standoff, agonizing. Crescent's hair shifted, picking up to one side as his eyes tried to focus on the creature just a few feet away from him. He didn't want to let it out of his sight. It looked like it would make a run for it when it had the chance. He wasn't fast enough to keep up and everything he had hoped for would disappear. 

Man and beast standing, one intensely fixated as the other deemed to avoid. The hunter had become the hunted. If this wolf decided to leave, Crescent would instantly chase down Kisha, not caring if everyone was sleeping or not. If he had to he'd beat the answers out of him.

He needed to pick up any subtle movement. It rested its foot, stood silently as if contemplating its next move.

That large tail limp against the cool dirt, its head remained forward with an eerie posture, ears focused. If not for the reaction to the name-calling, Crescent would believe the wolf didn't realize he was behind him.

Now it stood in the vicinity of one of the lanterns. Crescent could see the white spots that stood out. The same white spots as in the picture, touched by a faint yellowish glow. A hindrance to something so dark needing to blend into its surroundings.

Crescent hesitantly reached out his arm, his heart thumping violently in his chest. The air seemed empty as fingers curled to grasp only the image of the being. He could not reach. Calling his name wasn't enough for Crescent, he needed to know.

He needed to get closer, maybe it would speak to him or maybe this was all a joke and Kisha would appear from the forest to separate the blamed thoughts in Crescent's mind.

Weakly, stammering his weight shifted by digging his shoes in the dirt. Crescent stumbled forward, forcing his mind to remain clear, but he knew his danger. What if this wasn't Kisha? What if he was walking into the grasp of a monster?

Crescent didn't care.

Dancing with death his entire life prepared him for this. 

"Hey..." He muttered. "Can I just say... I-I'm sorry about the campfire... I'm sorry I've been such a dick to you... I'm sorry about the lunchroom. The gym class and I'm so sorry about the trip..." His breath choked as sadness began to swell within him. The only thing he desired was to fix the situation between them. The strained relationship, he grew weary of it and it was clear everything was all his fault.

"I'm sorry about tackling you that one time a-a-and calling you an asshole. I'm sorry I've made you so uncomfortable!" With what he believed to be Kisha so close to him, it was only right that Crescent found a way to patch this up.

"C-come here..."

A growl began to rock the wind, delaying Crescent in stride. The bellowing profound aggression from feet away sent his hair to stand up almost instantly. Reverberating off the trees, vibrating through him, the wolf snorted. The dangerous sound of wild animals parents warned their children about.

Crescent drew back his arm slowly, as the head of the beast turned to reveal those deadly teeth. Its eye-locking within his, lip rising, a warning was displayed. The creature wasn't welcoming his presence.

Crescent could feel the intent. The difference in their worlds. An animal responding to uncertainty, to the weariness of humanity with a fear he could only imagine. Those times Kisha seemed unsure to take risks and expose the very things that maybe Crescent wouldn't approve of. Was he afraid to let someone in?

Was this the reason why he was so standoffish? Having anyone know who he was would only hinder his survival. Crescent felt even more inclined to speak up, making confusion drip from their bodies. Allow the beast to swallow him whole. If he was to die by the teeth of Kisha, he'd accept it with pleasure.