Chapter 19. BBQ Drama?

Not having to wake early because the next event began in the afternoon; at lunchtime. The teachers decided to set up everything along with the staff's help. With the resort's cooks outside working assigned grills, tables are decorated to suit a large gathering in one of the bigger spaces in front of the inn.

Surrounded by trees, shade chilled the air. Old stumps were used as seats, dead trees were shaped into tables. Large bowls of snacks, fruit, and cans of various sodas/juices sprawled over the biggest tables. Accommodating such a large group. Even a cameraman wearing Nirvana attire took appealing videos for future reference.

A relaxing gathering; soft music hummed from a giant stereo hooked up to one of the trees. It was beautiful, but unlike the campfire, everyone had to attend.

The various groups of men, dressed appropriately in school attire, stood in small groups chatting. Whether it be gym clothes, uniforms, or everyday clothes, each student matched their class grade. The principal stressed this to the men. They were to look neat and have fun. Act like they were important investments or what Crescent liked to call them, Cattle.

Crescent spent his night tossing, turning, but he didn't lack the energy to get up. He wanted nothing more than to find Kisha and apologize. He was swept by the story and in that moment he believed everything. Though Kisha didn't deny it, still it wasn't Crescent's place to behave so mistrusting. They recently had a nice time on the bus, but everything tends to turn sour eventually between the two. If only they could settle their differences. Pride took over and the idea of begging another man made Crescent lose momentum. 

Ahni is all ready to go wearing his gym sweatsuit. Crescent needed something a little more warm, a hoodie, and khakis. The two locked up before venturing outside.

Ahni bounced happily on his heels, looking around at the wooden walls in amusement. The dull sight of so much brown hindered the beauty, but this entire inn was built to reflect nature. Vines were allowed to seep through cracks, as walls and foundations were old trees stacked together.

The definite smell of wood and grass gave the inn the sense of being outside. Large windows tinted, cut through brightness. The floors were marble, and giant rugs of various animal prints led a path through the entire building.

Plants hung from walls, stunning pictures of animals in natural habitats. Ahni imagined bugs having a field day crawling around the walls. The lights were set to dim constantly because of the darkness projecting from the ceiling. It was hard for sunlight to reach.

"Today we are going to the cookout. It's been so long since we had grilled food. Man, Crescent." Ahni's excited, voice reached a pitch reflecting a child's joy. The inn staff purchased enough food to feed a King's birthday party and Ahni planned to eat like the King himself.

Crescent would only nod, tucking his hands into his hoodie's pocket. He was cold already, heaters turned down due to the in and out traffic, and vents open to air out the heavy smells. No one wanted to smell hot trees.

"Yeah. I've been wanting a hot dog." Was all Crescent could muster up. Mustard, relish, and maybe a little bit of chili. Those stolen hot dogs when they were younger were always the best. He missed them.

"Oh, by the way, is it just me, or is Kisha always lurking near you?"

Crescent shrugged at Ahni's question. After last night, he felt Kisha would avoid him. He needed to push it out of his mind, but Ahni always had a way of making everything about Kisha. Old stories about the past, some people believed in them. Fascinated by them. Though he stood on the fence about the whole thing, he would have to see it to believe it. Crescent didn't know if he was truly scared of it all or not. Ahni wasn't there to hear Hilla Cure's history, but Crescent was sure if Ahni was then he'd have been able to ground him. Ahni wouldn't have allowed such an expression from Crescent toward his hero Kisha.