Chapter 25. Times Ticking

Ralp made himself comfortable, deciding to sleep with Ahni. Balled up at the base of the bed like a dog, Ahni would awake to check on him, shake him, and get him to lay parallel to him to no avail. Ralp was content in his spot. The problem was Ahni had long legs, so his feet kept pressing Ralp's back, but Ralp never complained. It seemed Ralp didn't mind being under Ahni, he acted like a dog anyway. Ralp's yawning even sounded like a faint whine when he stretched to change sides.

The next morning, they all split, Crescent dragging himself and his bag to each class until lunchtime. With his tray, he sat in his usual spot which had now been away from any gang-proclaimed table, waiting for his brother and expecting Ralp.

Kisha wasn't anywhere to be found and right now it was too risky to look for him. He doubted he'd be in the lunchroom as he hasn't been around for a couple days. Saikai was gone so there wasn't a reason for Kisha to hang around so many people. Crescent lifted his spork, driving it into a piece of cut steak before popping it between his lips.

The lunch menu today was the best. They were served dinner items. A choice of vegetable. Whether it was carrots, green beans, or corn on the cob. Meats were either meatloaf or chopped cubed steak in gravy with a heaping side of mashed potatoes. A brownie for dessert. According to the lunch ladies, he had enough money on his tab to afford it today. 

Not knowing where the money came from, Crescent didn't fuss about it. They didn't tell him what was on it, but he could only speculate it was a gift from Saikai.

His hues danced around bodies, trying to spot a sign of his brother, but it was hard seeing Ahni amidst the figures. Through his glasses, which made things slightly bigger, he could clearly see some of the ID tags around the student's neck. Top Dog, just as Ralp said. A growing small rival gang. Their ID tag colors were light blue and white. Interest how with a blink of an eyes anything can rise from the ashes.

Time was ticking and so far, Crescent was one of the few who sat alone, not being able to converse his thoughts and feelings. It felt good to get a break from the two, but they left him trailing on to memories and future planned events. The lunchroom level of noisiness was beyond that of a house party.

Before he knew it only a few inedible objects remained at his tray and Crescent sat with the edge of his spork, grinding it against his teeth to get the meat stuck between them. He sucked on them a little, but nothing seemed to help. His eyes drifted towards any source of time without going for his phone. He thought today would be a phoneless day. At least, if he contacted by Asho, he could lie and say he didn't see it.

Twenty minutes passed unnoticed. Half the period already.

Boredom set in, Crescent closing his eyes, left to listen to others' conversations and think of silly responses of his own. The table beside him spoke of a paraphernalia movement and a gathering that required a bucket of money in exchange for booze.

Liquor, a hard substance his father swallowed daily to cope with his mother's loss. He remembered the faint smell of alcohol-laced at the breath of the man he favored most. Those days when he'd tried to get his father to join him in play, met with the grunting and waving of broad hands. Crescent was disappointed in his father. He stumbled a lot. Fell a lot and went to sleep shortly after. Nothing of that sack of human flesh.

Scared him, suffering the image of an older him, yet not him at all. The memories were vague until altogether their father danced somewhere else. Hopefully, it was back with their mother. Crescent vowed a drink would never cross his lips.

Clunk.

The sound of an invading tray caused vibrations upon the metal tabletop. Crescent drew back to his surroundings, the focus in his pupils locking onto the source of the noise. Directly in front of him, a tall male dressed in dark purple. Crescent's heart skipped a beat, but he kept his composure without batting an eye. A swift ball of his left fist, he bit down on his jaw.