Chapter 2. Gangs

"And that concludes the opening ceremony. Welcome to Nirvana Academy."

Heavyset, older, with salt and pepper short hair, a big belly, and a dyed black mustache dressed in a new and expensive charcoal grey suit was the recipe that made up Principal Jones

He lifted his broad hands, rubbing them together which sounded like rough sandpaper before waving to the crowd. A proud man, who chose to put on his most welcoming attitude. No later had he averted his attention, turning and addressing the guidance counselor who seemed eager to receive orders.

The principal, a man who loved what he had. His unwavering confidence seemed rehearsed, but then again, he had years to practice that fake smile. The way he spoke about this school was like heaven to people that couldn't see through it.

There were cameramen taking pictures in the beautifully painted auditorium. They were sure to be on the news. Maybe just a simple advertisement. Clean seats, polished stage, rugs that looked no older than an hour. Weird. The cleanliness was beyond that of a normal school.

It was as if he was covering something. The new attendees were about fifty students. Some of them looked like they were rich. Some looked down on their luck. Others looked too bored and unbothered to give a damn. One thing was for certain, Ahni was sold.

Tapping his older brother on the arm lightly, a fairly innocent looking young adult. Ahni's bad boy style of dressing which consisted of tattoos, piercings and styled hair, spoke calmly.

"Cres, we have a home now." Ahni conveyed. He watched as the principal greeted every person, waddling his way up the ramp to exit the room. The opening speech sounded like heaven to Ahni's ears. So many cool things here. He gets the chance to experience them all and they were even talking about clubs!

Ahni was excited. The uniforms were perfectly fitted. Being juveniles, they were assigned specific colors. Juvenile is the title given to the new attendees and/or students who didn't have a certain amount of class credits.

The pants and blazers were a shade of dark blue, while undershirts were white. The shirts had to be tucked and a tie could be requested. Belts were given in all sizes as well as underwear and socks. All a solid black or brown. Ahni chose to wear every accessory. He wanted to look prestigious, but his older brother decided against it.

The clothing was comfortable to him, but he noticed Crescent was fidgeting a lot at the collar. They weren't used to things like this. Crescent looked over at his brother, exposing a small smile. He only enrolled so that they could have a place to live. Dragging Ahni around the streets was getting tiresome. By the smitten look and constant wows from Ahni, Crescent was happy he had did something right.

He needed to protect him the best way he could. They were told their stay would be free. Clothes, food, shelter, classes, all supplied. The principal shook their hands the day they signed up. Crescent was weary being shown this type of attitude because they could never truly trust anyone growing up.

Shifting in his seat, his gaze turned forward when he noticed a student in another colored uniform was approaching the microphone. He watched as the student adjust the mic to his height. The only thing he said before walking back off stage was,

"Please remain seated, Juvie's."

Now with the principal gone, what else was about to happen? Crescent looked around to find that everyone in fact remained seated; however, a short brown haired chubby young man was fidgeting in the seat before him. He had to have known something.

Crescent wanted answers. Scooting up in his seat, Crescent tapped on the male's shoulder, whispering behind his head.

"Umm, excuse me, you know what's happening?" Crescent tried to sound polite, but it came out awkward. Good thing he had a good recovery-- a small clear of his throat seemed to do the trick. The other guy hadn't taken notice at all.