Chapter 32. Run Ahni

Class went by as students crossed paths and so did the loss of time. There was no point in counting when the day and night were hauntingly longer. The darkness through what barely had been a window soon caught up to day and they were still in this old shack. How long would it take before someone decided to save them? The smell of mold, moistened metal, and pee drove Ahni to feel sick at various times. A few moments of tormented smell couldn't contain his nausea but with a belly of air, the muscle cramps felt like implosions.

Turmoil, the suffering of witnessing capture and having no say-so over his own life while being awake couldn't amount to darkness felt in pain.

His thoughts were pushed aside because he wanted to live.

Ahni made sure to keep Ralp warm. It was cold here all night. At least he knew with every inhale, Ralp was still alive. He was beaten by the damage felt on the areas Ahni accidentally touched. Dry blood and scabs stuck their clothing together. The sunlight offered clues to Ralp's predicament, but Ahni could only get a small glimpse from the ray of light shining through the cracks in the ceiling.

Ahni leaned over, scooping Ralp's slightly smaller frame into his arms tighter. Ralp was older than Ahni, but of them both-- weaker.

For once in his life, he could dwell beside someone genuine soft interior. Ralp was always there beside him these couple of days. They shared a lot and everything was more natural in their budding friendship. Ahni found it easy to talk to Ralp even though he hardly answered personal questions about Crescent and Kisha. He'd often revert eyes or awkwardly laugh and change subject. Ahni didn't mind. Maybe Ralp wasn't comfortable talking about his boss?

"Ralp? It'll be alright. Ok? I'll... protect you." Words that weren't as promising and strong as their peers, but he meant it. At least, Ahni would try. He needed to keep reminding Ralp.

Ralp released a small groan, huddling closer to the warmth, Ahni smirking. Yeah, just rely on him. He was trying to respond, but he needed to save his strength. They hadn't eaten all day, and the hunger pains were reaching down his throat. Ahni remained focused, listening to any sign of life beyond this cold shack.

Sounds of crickets singing and various bugs echoed the only evidence, that was until the soft pats on shoes shuffled above the grass. An approaching shadow beneath the base of the door.

"W-w-we're in here!" 

Ahni perked up and soon those footsteps turned to chains being removed, and then... it opened. The light, his eyes had to readjust for all he could make out was the darkness of a lanky figure shining in. Whether or not an angel or a messenger of hell. Standing, watching them both.

"You've been waiting? Don't worry. I've returned." The voice called out.

"Phantom?" Ahni called after the individual spoke with a familiar tone.

The Phantom released a small ah, stepping into the shack over an unknown black stain on the concrete. He knelt beside Ahni, small shuffling in his pockets before, handing him Ralp's phone. Ahni's clearing eyesight took him a minute to respond, but eventually, the device was scooped between fingers and Phantom placed a hand on his shoulder.

Ahni wanted nothing more than to run for the entrance, push Phantom out of the way, and go find help, but leaving Ralp here to deal with the aftermath was not something he wanted on his conscious. A slow take of breath Ahni begins to scan over the device as if it but a foreign object.

"How about calling Kisha? This is Ralp's phone. I'm sure he's worried." Phantom chimed with a voice that seemed to have his own agenda in mind; however, Ahni had better things to consider. The background on Ralp's phone was of a marbled-colored wolf with the happiest grin on its face. It was surrounded by a pile of leaves, trying to blend, but innocent and cute at the same time. A wolf pattern Ahni had never seen before. He pulls up the call log and quickly presses Crescent's number.