Chapter 34. The Beginning to The End

The night beckoned him into thoughts of freedom. Cool open wind grasping his gait, jumping, sliding, turning as an athlete practicing for the run of his life. He was free to show off his skills. No obstacle in path could shake Ahni's drive. If escaping meant never ending stride, then he'd free his spirit until his heart exploded. At least that's what he told himself. Held high, and determined, Ahni did nothing but press on even through the thickest bush. Arms blocking his face from the sticks, but they suffered the sharpest limbs.

Ahni was able to clear a path from the school grounds and into dense woods. So much that his speed decreased significantly as he frantically sought a way out. He needed to keep moving forward. Maybe through the ruckus Diamond would give up and everything would be fine. Trying to keep track of his directional path, he noted mentally of the spots he passed. Sooner than later he'd forget through the panic but it was worth a try.

Haste pushed him to the edge of a cliff, trees clearing, a field of grass in his wake. He was wide open, but his sight granted him a view of a busy city just below. The outskirts of the place they lived. That's right. Nirvana Academy had its land away from the population, but the distance was further and took a car to cover. Ahni couldn't have run that far, right? This had to have been another location. He was panting hard, doubling over, his lungs on the verge of collapsing. The quick rise and fall of his chest granted no solace to the marathon he had run mixed in with fear-- panic driven dizziness.

He had discovered what the outer limits of the school harbored and he was disappointed. Flagging down a vehicle from up here would be nearly impossible. Nirvana stood on a steep hill, his voice would not carry over the engines. What it was like seeing the place he had come from? Mentally he didn't want to go back, but physically he knew if he was surrounded by others, this wouldn't be happening to him.

Diamond wouldn't be so bold to hurt those in this school...

He needed to get to Principal Jones.

None of the students could escape this location. No one could sneak in either. This strategic design was made to keep students inside like some sort of wild animal attraction. Maybe because the outside world was too tempting and having access to what used to be would only push many students back into their dark world.

Ahni watched the spewed colors of the sunrise, their beauty gave him comfort but he knew inside he had reached a dead end. His features rested, hand brought to touch back to lips, wiping away a stray line of drool. He was thirsty, throat dried out, stomach in knots. Excreting this much energy on an empty stomach took a toll on his abilities to remain upright.

Ahni's legs stumbled his weight but he only doubled over, hands pressed to knees. The knotting inside brewed and his muscles clenched. A few hurls of air and mucus from stomach, followed by violent coughing and Ahni felt worse. He closed his eyes hoping to cling onto something that would keep his mind off of his predicament.

Where was Crescent?

Could he find him out here? He did say he was coming but after leaving that building behind, how would his brother know to come to the middle of nowhere? Ahni stepped forward, looking calmly over the edge. Should he just jump? Save them all the hassle. His lifeless eyes stared over the edge, thinking about what would happened if he suddenly fell over. All the cars below wouldn't hesitate to splatter his contents everywhere, but at least the nightmare's over.

A soft rustling of the grass and bushes behind him sends Ahni to suck his teeth.

Or maybe it had just begun...

Ahni fell to its knees-- giving up.

--------------------------------------

Warm crimson liquid dripped from Ahni's parted lips. He could barely stay awake due to the severe ringing within his mind. Pain massaged his insides churned with every exhale, and aching pulsing made him less eager to escape. It was hard to focus, his hearing barely keeping up with what was around him as the shattering gnaw of his bones crunching forced him to keep still.