Chapter 16. Stupidity vs Courage

"Good job everyone! Wrap it up. Mr. White, you've done exceptionally well today."

A small pat on the back by the gym instructor as Crescent walked past. Wiping the dripping sweat from his head, the other end of a towel hung neatly at his neck. Only twenty minutes before his next class began. Time to change and head back to the dorm room for a small break. Crescent gave a nod to the teacher as he left for a quieter area.

Pushing past the large wooden doors, Crescent left the smell of feet, sweat, and other body odors behind. The cool, cleaner air filled him with satisfaction. Today was a hard day. They worked like animals, but he found the sport to be fun. Something to get his mind off of everything else.

The gym's air conditioner was turned down during extreme sports. Sweating more than usual, no one wanted to get sick playing in cooler temps. The more occupants meant the stuffier and today was extremely horrible.

During afternoon P.E. more students changed their schedules to this set time. Having P.E. in the morning or at the end of the day wasn't ideal. Either because of being too tired or not awake, students preferred to put up with the fight around lunchtime.

Sneakers scuffing the ground due to a lazy stride, Crescent almost tripped from the friction. He turned towards the locker room, a single light to guide him through a small winding hall. The walls were painted a dull grey, and the black tile floor had been newly buffed.

The reflection was clear because a massive amount of polish was used. Without much else in the decoration department, the lockers were all painted either white or black resembling piano keys.

Bringing a fun musical atmosphere to a sports location remained a mystery, but he didn't build this school so how could he complain? Still, it was unappealing.

Walking up to his locker, he flicked the latch before pulling the door open. Inside Crescent's locker only harbored a bag he brought to every session.

A change of clothing. He didn't like using the showers down here. They exposed the most private areas and he didn't want to share with other students. A lot of the men in the school consisted of muscles, something he lacked. Having a hard time looking at how developed other men were, he chose to hang back. Real street bodies on top of hardened personalities. Criminals. If someone looked at him, they would never be able to tell he had the skills.

Raising his towel once more he scratched his forehead. Sweat from his hair dripped on his skin, a tingling sensation creeping down his face. It was itchy.

Unraveling the towel, Crescent pulled his clothing from the bag only to stuff the towel inside. He moved rather quickly, needing to get out of there so that he could return to his dorm and lie down. His muscles were aching. As he hurried, a rogue flyer went unnoticed, falling from the bottom of his locker and sliding beneath a nearby bench.

He sighed, holding his clothing in one hand and his bag thrown over his shoulder. The locker door slammed, he turned, and what he saw startled him. A student, dressed in all black, leaning against a locker in his path. He wasn't there when Crescent first entered. How did he go unnoticed?

He averted his gaze just in case the other person was just mentally ill. A ski mask blocked their face, a clear indication they were hiding their identity. Guessing by their posture, they were waiting to say something. The situation grew awkward for Crescent. Digits at the bag handle tightened, as he vigilantly focused all senses on the male a few feet away.

He began walking. Eyes kept forward, the figure to his side only remained stiff, arms crossed, head down, eyes closed. He needed to get away before something happened. The only way he'd make an impact and allow the stranger to second guess attacking him is if he makes himself seem stronger. He wanted the male to know he was the least bit fazed by his antics, but at the same time, weary. A knife, easily concealed as well as easily branded and driven into his side would be the death of Crescent.