[34] Blossoms of Distrust

Thunder crashed from outside the window, causing me to jump and clutch the pillow I was holding tighter.

I glanced around the room. Looking at the people who, much like I, were dragged out of bed for this 'meeting'.

Everyone either looked like they were gonna puke or murder someone. I, was somewhere in between.

Glimmer was standing by the fire, but suddenly she turned around, "I called you all here to discuss what happened today. The mission to retake Dryl was a complete disaster. We barely made it out. I wanna know why."

I watched as Bow narrowed his eyes, "The horde knew we were coming. They were ready for us. How do they keep doing this?"

He continued, "We thought they were tracking Adora, but she wasn't even there today."

Mermista, who was on the couch next to me stood up, "Isn't it obvious? There's a Horde spy somewhere in Brightmoon." she slammed her hands on the table.

As if on cue, more thunder boomed from outside, "And no one is going anywhere until we figure out who it is."

The queen laughed nervously, "Mermista, it's very unlikely that there's a spy-"

"We need to investigate. Obviously I'll be the lead detective since I've read every single Mer-Mystery book."

Adora said exactly what I was thinking, "Mer-Mystery! It's only the best undersea mystery novel series ever. There's like 18 of them. It taught me everything I need to know about solving mysteries. MURDER MYSTERIES."

The familiar plant-loving blonde raised her hand, "Um.... But no one's been murdered."

"YET."

I yawned, "I'll gladly be the first."

"No y/n, you can't just sacrifice yourself. Anyways. First, we need to question the suspects."

Frosta raised an eyebrow, "Who are the suspects?"

Pausing by the window dramatically, Mermista placed her fingers on the glass, "Everyone is a suspect."

"Everyone? is anyone else sweating? I'm sweating." I looked over to see Bow, who was fiddling with his fingers nervously.

Glimmer sighed, "This is a waste of time. We know that the Horde is pulling their troops back to prepare for something big. That's what we should be investigating."

"No, Mermista's right." Adora stated thoughtfully, "And, we know it can't be me the Horde's tracking. Since, once again, you used me as a distraction today. A spy is really the only thing that makes sense."

"Maybe they didn't fall for the distraction because you're a bad actress," the purple and pink haired girl grumbled, "And who would the spy even be anyway?"

I groaned and covered my ears with a pillow, not wanting to listen to the bantering, or Glimmers annoying voice in general.

Only when Mermista put her foot on the table and did another dramatic pose did I remove the pillows.

"-How are you doing that?!" I tilted my head in confusion at Frosta's statement.

"I practiced at home!" Another loud roar of thunder made me clutch the pillow tighter, realizing what the smaller girl was talking about.

- - -

After rounds and rounds of interrogations, I was pulled into the room and a bright light was shined on my face.

"Alright Y/n, I think we can say it's not you but I'm going to ask you a couple of questions just to be like safe." Mermista stated, Perfuma agreeing from beside her.