[1] The Day My World Fell Apart

TW: Unalivement

- 9 years ago -

The sun was warm on my face as I stood on my tippy toes so I could put my arms on the railing of the balcony. As I looked at the city of Elesphia below, my mother was behind me putting my h/c hair into a traditional ceremony style.

"Now dear, remember what you're supposed to do at the ceremony?" she said, her voice soft but confident, just as it always was.

My mother, Queen m/n, was one of the most gorgeous women I had ever met. She had long black hair that never seemed to get messy or tattered. Natural and full red lips. Defined cheekbones, and a commanding voice.

Not to mention she was confident, and made sure everyone knew it too. I wanted to be just like her.

"Of course Mama!" I gushed, "I memorized it all and practiced with one of the servants." her hands left my hair and I turned around to see her smiling proudly, tears welling in her e/c eyes.

See, today was my 7th birthday and the day I became an official member of the royal court. At least, according to tradition in this kingdom.

My mother snapped her fingers and two maids rushed onto the rather large balcony and ushered me into my room, where they started dressing me in a beautiful blue ballroom dress with two silk ribbons. One for my waist and the other for my hair.

The dress itself wasn't the fanciest thing in the world, but it was the traditional style dress for the princess to wear on this special day. It had a transparent layer over the actual dress, making it appear bigger than it actually was.

If I were a normal child, I would have probably found a mirror and admired the way the maids had dressed me up, but in my kingdom, mirrors were strictly forbidden. And royals took to this tradition the most.

My kingdom (As mentioned before) was the kingdom of Elesphia, a place where illusion and mind tricks ran within our blood. It made our kingdom untrustworthy in the eyes of others. But some people like my mother didn't use their magic, even though her royal bloodline made her much stronger.

The weirdest part of my home is that unlike other kingdoms, we have no need for a runestone. (Even though we do have one). Instead, everyone is gifted with the abilities that "Only royals are supposed to have."

Suddenly my thoughts were interrupted by my mother linking her arm in mine and gently pulling me out of my room and into the hallway.

As we walked side by side, I felt myself start to sweat and a bubble of anxiety start to rise inside of my stomach, making me suddenly become nauseous.

My mother stopped and looked at me for a quick second, "y/n, I'm so proud of you dear.." her voice sounded like she was about to cry yet she kept her composure as she swiftly opened the huge ballroom doors.

If only I'd known that those would be the last words I'd ever hear from her again, maybe I would have treasured them a little bit longer.

As we entered I stared at the hundreds of people in the room, as their cheers roared throughout the room. Some of the people I recognized as friends of my mother, most were normal citizens but there were others that I had no recollection of even seeing before. How very strange.

"People of Elesphia! I welcome you to this traditional ceremony, of which a young princess will become an official member of the royal court!" Cheers roared throughout the room but my mother silenced them as soon as she started talking again.

"My daughter, Princess y/n, has been the light of my life for seven years now. She's the reason that I continue every single day. Without her, my days would be bleak and dark..."

She continued her speech until a loud explosion cut her off. Everyone gasped and turned their eyes to the back of the room to see that a hole had been formed in the wall by a machine that looked extremely dangerous.

"Well, what a lovely ceremony we have here." A voice cut through the dust and the crowd. "Mind if we interrupt?" The voice was almost immediately recognized as Hordak, leader of the evil horde, causing the ballroom to erupt into chaos.

More explosions went off and I was suddenly being pulled by one of the guards into the hallway that we came through. I coughed from all the smoke and dust but frantically searched for my mother who had been by my side just moments before.

I didn't have to look very hard to see she was already attempting to fight hordak with a steel sword. I never even realized she knew how to fight, which arose a whole bunch of questions that my mind was too busy panicking to answer.

"MOMMA!" I yelled causing her to look up at me in panic, turning her focus from the fight to me; a fatal mistake. It didn't take long for her enemy to use the moment to his advantage, and impale her with her own sword.

The guard was still trying to pull me away from the situation, but tears welled in my eyes as I let an ear piercing cry. I stared at her as she fell to the ground, and my body shook as the same guard picked me up and ran for a secret exit. Big tears were streaming down my face as I sobbed.

In my mind, I ran through all the things I could have done to prevent this moment. Somehow I managed to blame myself, which only made me sob harder.

At some point, the guard had brought me so far away from the castle, that I could only see the smoke rising in the atmosphere.

As I was brought into the kingdom of bright moon, I laid limp in the guards arms, the emotional struggle from the day catching up to me and causing me to fall fast asleep.

Finally ending the day my world fell apart  

- CHAPTER 1 END - 

Thanks for reading! ❤️

- STATS - 

Edited: 8/15/20 

(Re-Edited: 5/23/21) 

Word count: 143