Chapter 14

━━❃°•°❀°•°❃•━━
"I heard a rumor today."

You shivered subconsciously, an uneasy feeling crept up your spine and the air around you felt stiff. You couldn't help but look away from the student's notebook, an unfamiliar presence behind you felt too strong to ignore.

Behind you stood a man, he looked strikingly similar to the man in the old photo. His was was dark as he looked at the stairs, unable to read his emotions, You asked him.

"Are you Misaki?"

The man turned towards you and nodded silently. He glided towards Yashiro, who didn't seem to notice the man behind her.

"Yes, I am the real Misaki. A long time ago, I used to teach at the top of those very stairs. The notebook you are reading is from one of my students."

You gasped slightly, just enough to catch your friend's attention.

"I died on these stairs. An accident that I took the consequences of." Misaki continued to explain. You stared at him with curious eyes, taking in the emotion of his words.

Yashiro glanced at you from the corner of her eye,

"Y/N-Chan...? Who are you looking at?" Yashiro asked worriedly, turning to look in the direction you were focused on.

"She won't be able to see me, she doesn't have your ability," Misaki spoke up again, looking blankly at Yashiro.

"My ability... can I use it to help you?" You asked, determination filling your eyes.

He turned to look at you then, he smiled. It wasn't a happy smile nor a sad smile, he was content.

"It's a bit too late to help me, but may I ask for a favor?"

You nodded, prompting him to continue.

"Please, help my student with her grief. That is my last and most imperative request."

The once stiff air became smoother as you watched Misaki fade away. Everything was silent for a moment, only the rustles of the trees nearby could be heard. Yashiro tapped your shoulder lightly, pulling you out of your daze.

"Did something happen, Y/N...? You spaced out for a bit." The bright-eyed girl smiled worriedly, a bit nervous from the way you were acting.

"Sorry, I'm just... a bit dazed." You smiled back at her, reassuring her that you were fine. You felt as if a stone was held over your heart each time you lied to one of your friends, but you didn't want to drag Yashiro into any more stressful situations. A soul connector's problems should be dealt with on their own.

Yashiro nodded and continued to turn the pages, they turned up black for some time, but another note appeared soon after.

"Misaki may never come here again."

"I decided that I'll just have to make a Misaki"

For you and Yashiro, everything became clear. The woman who you had built the body for, was the same girl who was writing in this book. You finally understood her reason behind all of this.