Chapter 23

━━•❃°•°❀°•°❃•━━

"S-Sorry! It's not like that! I-It's just a habit from cooking with my sister! I didn't mean--"

In under a millisecond, Kou jumps away from behind you. He begins to fumble on his words due to embarrassment and ultimately tries to run away from the situation.

"Ah! Minamoto-kun! Watch out!" You hastily yell, but it was too late. Kou already tripped and crashed into a nearby trash heap, full of his previous attempts at baking.

"He's covered in poison! Is he dead? Did he die...?" The mokke asked, crowding around the blonde boy with what seemed like worry.

"I'm not dead!" Kou retorted, pulling his aching head out of the trash.

Yashiro stood closely beside you, trying her absolute best to hold in her laugh. A few giggles escaped, however, allowing you to ease the worried gaze you had formed on your face.

"Thank you, Minamoto-kun. Here allow me to help you up." You smiled, reaching out your hand to him.

"Ah... O-Okay!" With a sweaty hand and tinted red cheeks, he shakily grabbed your outstretched hand.

Still trying to hold back her chuckles, Yashiro covered her mouth with her hands, walking closer to the two of you with a bright smile.

"Well, since you offered... I guess we should tell you. Do you mind?"

"Go ahead!"

━━•❃°•°❀°•°❃•━━

Yashiro began to explain what the two of you had seen in the Yorishiro's memory. How surprised the two of you were to find out that Hanako had previously attended the school as a student.

"I see... You two saw that in the 4 O'clock library." Kou hummed.

"So... he used to be a student here."

You nodded your head slightly, taking a small peek at both Kou and Yashiro before returning your gaze to the stove. 

"Should I tell them about what I saw...? What Tsuchigomori-Sensei told me?"

The last thing you wanted to do was turn the others against Hanako, make them afraid of him. Your heartstrings tugged at the thought of your small friend group breaking up due to uncertainties and lies.

"Y/N-chan... Minamoto-kun... umm..." Yashiro began, hesitantly mumbling under her breath.

"M-Maybe... I shouldn't stay friends with Hanako-kun."

Your breath hitched as you turned to look at the timid girl, her aura was filled with fear and uneasiness. She turned her gaze away from yours and placed a freshly made donut into the hot oil.

"I mean.. Hanako-kun is dead!!" She cried, tears threatening to spill from her eyes.

"But... he was always dead.. wasn't he?" You questioned.

"Yes! But he's an evil spirit! A school Wonder! A-And a murderer!"

"It looked like someone was bullying him, so I bet he stabbed whoever it was!"

"He's always been hard to get a handle on and kind of scary sometimes, but this is more depressing than I expected!"

Yashiro grabbed your shoulders with a tight grip, hysteria, and fear taking over her features.

"It's such a pain! His situation is too complicated. What should we do? How should we treat him?!"

Yashiro's words made your heartache, to see her acting like this, to feel her soul tug and shiver against the chains of your bond, it scared you.

And yet, the smiling face of the boy you were speaking of popped back up into your mind...

"Thank you for being so understanding, Y/N-chan..."

"No... You're wrong, Nene-chan."

You gently grabbed her hands and held them tightly in yours, your face and tone changed completely, as you become more and more confident in your words.

"I may not know much about Hanako-kun, and I'm still learning. But I know that whatever he did in the past, he had a good reason to do it."

Letting go of her hands, you sighed. It was time for you to tell the truth.

━━•❃°•°❀°•°❃•━━

"I spoke to Amane in the Yorishiro's memory."