Chapter 26

━━•❃°•°❀°•°❃•━━

Once you were certain that the mystery boy had vanished for good, you slowly let go of Hanako. A slew of questions flooded your thoughts at once, overwhelming you.

Who was that boy? Why did he refer to me as a 'pretty butterfly'?

The mere thought of his dark stare sent shivers up your spine. He acted as if he knew who you were, or what you were.

Hanako-kun did say that being a Soul Connecter was dangerous... Was this what he was referring to?

"H-Hanako-Kun...?!"

A loud impact jerked you out of your frenzied thoughts, followed by the trembling voice of a startled girl.

You turn around to see Hanako and Yashiro on the floor, Hanako holding Yashiro down with a grim expression.

"Hanako-Kun...? What are you doing to Yashiro?" You mumbled blankly, your eyes widening as you took in the scene.

His spirit darkened, worse than anything you'd ever seen from him. From the angle, you couldn't see his face, but you could tell he was... Afraid... Hurt. Yashiro's hands were trembling beneath Hanako's firm grip, and her anxiety radiated vividly from her soul.

"S-Stop! You're scaring her!"

The apparition flinched at your words, looking up at you. His wide golden eyes stared back into your (e/c) ones.

"Sorry... Sorry, I've...."

"Got to go...." He mumbled softly as he let go of Yashiro's hand.

Before either you or Yashiro could say anything, he turned away and began to drift towards the door.

Not sparing you another look, he left the rooftop.

━━•❃°•°❀°•°❃•━━

Hanako-kun didn't appear in the bathroom for the rest of the day. You tried searching for him throughout the school, but every time you did, he would hide his soul energy.

You just wanted answers. You just wanted to help him.

It felt like the progress you made with him had completely depleted in under a day. Yashiro began acting odd too, always looking out of it when she was around you.

Haah... Maybe I should just give them their space today? I'm worried, but if they won't talk to me, there's not much I can do about it.

You inwardly sighed, walking down the golden-yellow hallway. Classes have finally ended, and since Hanako-Kun had been avoiding you, you decided to head home early.

"Have you heard of this rumor?" A voice on the school intercom asked calmly.

"Another rumor...?" You slowed your pace, quietly waiting for the girl on the intercom to continue.