Chapter 22

━━°•°°•°━━

"Y/N-chan has been acting so weird lately... Ever since we caught a glimpse Hanako-Kun's past in the 4 O'clock library..."

Yashiro bit the end of her pink pen, gingerly peeking across the classroom where you sat.

"We've both been unnaturally uncomfortable around Hanako-kun, but I can't help but think there's something I don't know. The way she left the school that night, she looked so troubled."

"...Y/N-chan, what exactly did Tsuchigomori Sensei say to you?"

━━°•°°•°━━

School ended quickly for you. Most of the students and teachers trailed out the class, leaving the quiet atmosphere to act as a breeding ground for your worries. Absentmindedly, you fiddled with the pages of your book, looking at the words more than actually reading them.

What could be so important that Hanako-kun would keep from me..? I hate prying, but if it has something to do with my abilities...

Outwardly, you sighed and closed your novel in frustration. This gave a specific cream-haired girl the opportunity to grasp your attention.

"Y/N-chan, can you join me in the field today?"

"Oh, alright.." You tried to put on your best smile, the last thing you wanted to do was create tension between your friends. It's best that you kept it to yourself for now. Yashiro's face brightened at this, and little by little her anxiety faded.

"Great! I'd like your help with some things."

Nodding your head, you placed your book in your bag and stood up.

"Of course, but like I said before... gardening isn't my strong suit."

━━°•°°•°━━

"You don't have to do anything! It just looked like you had a lot on your mind... Whenever I'm thinking about stuff, I come here."

Yashiro smiled nervously while tugging on her work gloves. You chuckled to yourself and grabbed a pair as well, signaling to Yashiro that you didn't mind doing a bit of fieldwork. She gripped a nearby gardening tool and raised it high above her head, swinging it down in a quick, rough motion. After three minutes, she grabbed another tool and began swiping harshly at a couple of green plants nearby.

The mokke, who had followed the two of you out into the field, became fearful. Dodging her dangerous swipes left and right, they tried their hardest to take cover in a safe place near you.

"Uhm... Nene-chan...?" You mumbled with a slightly worried expression.

"Are you sure that working so aggressively is great for thinking about things?"

You held a couple of the nearby Mokke closely, while the others gathered at your feet. They all shook in fear when watching her work.

"Ah--" Yashiro stopped her yard work abruptly, looking over her shoulder slightly to look at you, a bright shade of red took residence on her cheeks.

"Kya!! Y/N-Chan!! I totally forgot you were here!"

"I'm a normal girl! I swear!!" She gripped your shoulders firmly and shook you rapidly, launching the Mokke you were holding into the sky and scaring off the ones at your feet.