Chapter 20

━━°•°°•°━━

"Okay, brats, time's up!"

Tsuchigomori's voice interrupts the heartwarming interaction, putting Kou and Yashiro in a panic state once more.

"P-Please, anything but the PA system!" Yashiro pleads with a pale look.

You expected him to be cruel, or at least stoic, but Tsuchigomori smirked and placed a surprisingly fond hand on the three of your heads.

"I won't do that. That was basically a joke."

"Besides, I got to see something a little interesting."

Tsuchigomori walks towards a bookshelf and reaches out for one of its lamps. Pulling on its chain revealed a secret opening into a cave.

"Follow me." He stated while leaning on the bookshelf.

"I'll lead you to my Yorishiro."

He steps out into the cave opening with a lantern in hand, looking at you and the others.

"But the only one I'll let go beyond this point is the priestess who will destroy the Yorishiro."

"Priestess?" Yashiro repeated with a confused look.

"He means my assistant!" Hanako states while wrapping his arms around Yashiro with a wide smile.

"Not a chance, Spider-guy!" Kou intervenes, placing himself protectively in front of Yashiro.

"How will we know whether or not you're going to attack her? It's too dangerous..." You chime in, with an equally protective look.

Before either, you or Kou could continue your protests, a hand snaked around your mouth leaving the both of you silent.

"Well, Number Seven-sama? Can't you trust me?"

Hanako looked at Tsuchigomori with a dark look. He was silent for a moment, probably thinking about his answer before pushing Yashiro forward.

"All right. But on one condition..." His eyes flicked to yours, for a moment his face softened but as he looked away, it became dark again.

"Yashiro will take Y/N with her."

Despite his original claim of taking only Yashiro, Tsuchigomori agreed to the offer, noticing Hanako's waning patience.

"All right. Take good care of them...Tsuchigomori-sensei."

━━°•°°•°━━

With a lantern hand, you and Yashiro follow Tsuchigomori closely to the end of the cave. Yashiro clings closely to you, seemingly glad that you were able to come along.

"Hey... How is he?" Tsuchigomori asked without sparing either of you a glance.

"Are things, you know... going okay?"

"Well.." Yashiro begins.

"He's mean, and he does things to lead me on, so I get fed up with him sometimes,"

"But he always saves me, and he can be surprisingly kind... I can't bring myself to hate him."

"In fact, I think of him as a friend!" Yashiro concludes with a bright smile.

Tsuchigomori nods and turns his attention to you, causing Yashiro to look at you as well, expecting an answer.

"What about you, Y/N-chan?"