Not Guilty (Chap 14)

The weekend came faster when I pretended I didn’t care about anything. Not about health class, or lying to Jake, or the fact that I haven’t talked to Alec in what seems like years. Nope, I didn’t care about any of it. And what do you know; the weekend came before I knew it.

I woke up late on Saturday, making up for the sleep I had lost over the past five days of going to school. When I went downstairs, no one was there. Mom left me a note saying they all went out to run some errands and maybe see a movie and assumed I’d rather stay at home. She assumed right. I plopped down on the couch and turned the TV on. It was already eleven-thirty, so there wasn’t much on to watch. I was satisfied with a re-run of Saturday Night Live when the doorbell rang. I figured I’d just let it go, I was in my PJ’s and still haven’t brushed my teeth or anything. But whoever was at the door was quite persistent. When I didn’t answer, they continued to ring the bell over and over and over again like a school child. I got up from the couch and attempted to smooth my hair down with no prevail. Oh well. I shimmied over to the front door and opened it.

“Hiya,” Zane said as he walked past me and right into my house.

“Oh, please Zane, won’t you come in, I’d love some company at the moment,” I said while closing the door.

“Well don’t you look attractive this fine Saturday morning?” He was lying down on the couch with his feet propped up on the coffee table. He was fully dressed, looking about ready to go to school or something.

“You do realize it’s a Saturday, right? Doesn’t your kind usually sleep until three in the afternoon?” I questioned, sitting down on the opposite couch.

“Whatever, what are you doing today?”

“Nothing, and that’s the way I like it.”

“Err- wrong,” he objected, making a little buzzer noise. “You’re going to a Beatles tribute concert with yours truly.”

“Uh, what?”

“Don’t question it! My dad got tickets from some guy he works with and I don’t have any one else to bring so it’s your lucky day!”

“I don’t wanna go,” I muttered, my face now buried into one of the couch pillows.

“Why not? It’s free, it’s down at that little theater you guys have in the city, and you love The Beatles.”

“One,” I began, sticking up the number one with my hand and pulling my head off of the pillow, “I’m lazy. I don’t feel like doing anything after the week I had. And two, I hate stupid small town tribute bands.”

“It’s not stupid, they’ll be Beatles music! Just because it’s not Rain doesn’t mean it’s not good.”

“I just don’t feel up to it,” I admitted.

“Come on, you think you’ve had a hard week, I just started at a brand new school!”

“Yeah, and how’s that going for you?”

“Really good, actually, I made some friends, going over to some kid’s house tomorrow. But what’s up with you?”

“I’d rather not talk about it. Not in the mood.”

“Well, how about this,” he inquired, “I pick you up at five, we go to dinner, talk, we’ll see the concert at seven-thirty, and I’ll take you home. Come on, you can’t say no.”

“Fine,” I sighed, giving in. It couldn’t be that bad.

“Alright, see you then. Thanks for agreeing. It’ll be fun, you’ll see,” he said, almost like a real concerning person, and left. He just got up and left. And I had five hours to get ready.