I Will (Chap 13)

“But Mom!” I whined.

“I already told you, no. I have to take your sister to a doctor’s appointment. One day isn’t going to kill you. Sorry.” And with that, she walked out the door with Sarah. And I had to walk to school. Not that it’s that far away, probably twenty to twenty-five minute walk. But I would be lonely. And it’s awkward when a bus drives by and everybody can see you walking on the side of the road and stares…

But, seeing as I had no other choice, I headed out my front door. It was about quarter till seven, so I would be good on time. I stepped down off the porch, across the front lawn, and into the road. I put my headphones in, and put my iPod on shuffle. I had this thing everywhere I went. Never knew when you’d need your fix of a good song.

Come Together came on, the Live In New York City version at that, and I started doing a little dance in the middle of the road. Why not? There were all of four houses on the road, and no one will be watching anyway.

So I walked down the road, moving my shoulders and arms in a strange swinging motion, singing,

“Come together! Right now! Over me!”

“Boo.”

“Ah!” I screamed, immediately cowering down with my knees bent and flinging my hands over my head.

“Do you ever listen to anything besides The Beatles?” I looked up, hands still on the side of my head, to see Zane towering right above me. He had a smirk plastered on his face, looking down on me. Along with a look that screamed, ‘Oh, did I scare the baby?’ But, he did stick his hand out for me to take. I reached up to grab it, pulling myself up, and turning away from him and walking away.

“Hey, you never answered my question.” I turned around, to tell him to go away, annoyed that he scared me, and ran straight into his chest.

“Umph,” I mumbled, and he pushed me back with his hands on my shoulders. He pulled my headphones out of my ears with one hand, while he unclenched one of my hands and placed the headphones there with a tap of his hand.

“I’m not a child, you know,” I told him, looking up at his face.

“Really? Could’ve fooled me.”

I started to walk away from him, and not to my surprise, he kept right in step with me.

“You walk to school?” I questioned him.

“What does it look like I’m doing? Going to meet the queen? Oh, and you still haven’t answered my question.”

“What question?”

“The only music I’ve ever seen you listen to is The Beatles.”

“Is that a problem?” I asked, continuing to walk. Looks like I’d be walking with Zane to school today.

“You’re depriving yourself of lots of other good music. The Beatles weren’t all that great anyway. Some of their songs were shit, even they admitted it.”

“I thought you liked them?”

“Yeah, but not all of their stuff.”

“I’m not going to argue. I have a biased point of view.”

“True. You love anything that comes out of their mouths, shit or not.”

“Would you stop saying that!”

“That some of their stuff was a load of bull-”

“Yes! And that word in general.”

“Yes Mother, would you like me to wash my mouth out with soap now?”