Oh! Darling (Chap 10)

“Hello?” Crap. He picked up. And I thought I’d get lucky.

“Uh…. Hi?”

“Julia! Are you okay! Is something wrong? What happened?”

“I forgot…  I mean… Well Sundays are movie days for me and my friends and we wanted to talk about school and I went there first thing and I wanted to get ready for school tomorrow and I feel really bad that I forgot but I was all caught up in school and-“

“It’s okay! I get it!”

“Really?”

“Yeah. It’s fine. I’m not mad.”

“Oh.” For some reason, I thought he’d be really mad. Not that I wanted him to be, I’m just really surprised.

“Yeah, it’s okay. I’ll get to see you a lot over video chat anyway. How about we make Monday nights our video night?”

“I’d like that,” I said smiling.

                After chatting with Jake for an hour or so, or more like three, I shut my laptop and pulled out my math homework. Fun. It was just a review of the stuff we learned in Alg 1. So I didn’t remember any of it. Seriously, not only has it been an entire summer, but I took that class two years ago. So after I finished faking like I knew all of it and wrote down random stuff, I went downstairs to eat dinner. It was past six after all.

“What’s for dinner?” I asked no one in particular when I reached the bottom of the staircase.

“Missed it,” Luke said, brushing past me and making his way up the stairs.

“Whatever, butt munch,” I called over my shoulder at him. I missed dinner more often than not on school nights. When my dad was away for work, we tended not to eat together, and with all of the extracurricular activities we all have, it was near impossible to get everyone together at once.

“There’s vegetarian lasagna in the fridge,” my mom told me us I walked into the kitchen.

“Yay! Thank you!” I replied, giving her a hug. I liked to pretend I was a vegetarian. On Mondays and Fridays. I couldn’t go my entire life without bacon. Or tacos. So I opened up the fridge and got out a plate to heat it up on. Once the microwave went off, I grabbed the plate and sat down at the table. Our house is really open, so the kitchen, table, and family room are all connected. I was able to watch TV from my spot at the table. My sister was on the couch watching something on Disney. I remember when I used to watch that channel…. When the good shows were on. Now it’s just stupid.

“Oi! Change the channel! This isn’t funny!” I shouted at her.

“No! I love this show!”

“I know you watched TV all day, and I haven’t once today. So hand me the remote.” Sighing, she walked over and gave me the remote. “Thank you love,” I told her with a smile.

“Nothing not from this century,” she said walking back into the family room.

“Little do you know John Lennon vs. The US is from this century! Along with some Paul concerts and-”

“Nothing Beatles related either.”

“Oh, poo on you,” I said slouching into my chair. Food Network it was, then. There was no other show that was on that she could watch. Not that I minded Food Network. Most people didn’t know that I really want to be a chef when I grow up. I’m a really good cook, but I’m afraid that my parents wouldn’t support me because they always say with my grades I could get into Med school no problem.