Platform Shoes to Heaven

The grand room was decorated with scarlet and golden drapes that hung from the walls and ceiling, their drooping pouches filed with small lights. Somewhere within the dimly lit room, the sounds of an orchestra played slow though powerful music — you could hear the deep plucks and vibrations. You know the kind; the kind that causes your internal organs to tremulously dance as you stood still. There was light chatter that flitted at uneven intervals. Smiles and hands holding cups of champagne, the women dressed in lovely dresses while the men wore similar tuxedos.

Most of the men had a woman or two by their side, an arm lightly about her waist, or her hand delicately holding onto his shoulder. Many, but there were a few bachelors.

He stood by his assigned table, watching the lot of people. Not much of a fan of parties, yet he always seemed to show up; this was a formal banquet, and he was one to dispose of formalities. Someone tugged at his auburn ponytail, and he turned with a soft expression of confused hurt.

It was the man that hosted today’s extravagant event. “Enjoying yourself much, Aaron?” He was older than most of the people at the banquet, and his young guest smiled lightly with a chuckle.

“Of course I am, Edgar. Thank you for inviting me.”

The host shook his head, though the ends of his lips were turned upwards. Then he pointed over with careless hand gestures to some of the young ladies. “Why don’t you go on out and mingle? Some lovely ones out there today.”

Turing his eyes downward, Aaron gave a one armed shrug. “I know. I’ve seen. Some of them come here frequently. But…” He let out a sigh, looked back at the older man, his smile gone awry as one end was higher than the other in uncertainty. “I wouldn’t know the first thing to say.”

Edgar laughed and dropped a heavy hand on his guest’s shoulder. “Look at you! A wealthy, well learned young man like yourself, standing about alone with so many solitary women out there! Talk about anything — anything at all.” The old man’s eyes shinned with humor and young spirit.

Then Aaron let out a breath through his nose. “Alright. Fine.”

“Fifty dollars says the first one you met is the lucky one.”

“Then I’ll be fifty dollars richer by the end of the day.”

{ the title makes literally no sense but i really like it for some reason }