Evaner Essen Ender Day

“Whats out there?”

       I shrugged, leaning back on a mossy log, my arms outstretched as I put them behind my head for comfort. “Dunno. No one’s been out there for years.”

       Aria smiled, sitting up and wrapping her arms about her knees. “Betcha it’s a totally different land out there.”

       I laughed. “Probably not! We’re still on Earth—Earth don’t change.” She rose an eyebrow at me. “There are four seasons. Earth totally changes.

       “Impressive counter argument.” I nodded pleasingly.

       “Aria! Jason!” That was the Headmaster; how did he find us so quickly?

       Aria quickly jumped to her feet, brushing off grass and dirt stains from her jeans. “That was quick…!” she whispered to me as I held my hands out for her to help me up. “Someone must’ve told him where we were,” I muttered with a small shake of my head. She took one last glance at the mountain range, of the far off world before grabbing my hand with a grin. “C’mon, I’ll race ya!” Darting away just as I got to my feet, I fell back down from her sudden departure. “Hey, no fair!”

       Running after her, she eventually came closer to view, but she still reached the castle before I did. Man, she was fast…

       Nearing the Headmaster, he crossed his arms as he stood before the door and raised an eyebrow, lips a thin line. His stubbly beard was shaven off today for Sunday sermon and wore his best attire. “Do you even know what today is?” he demanded, grey eyes like thunderclouds as we stood before him.

       “Sunday…?” Aria ventured, his fingers lightly brushing against mine when he scowled.

       “Yeah, it’s Sunday — glad you know the days of the weeks,” he said with a scoff. “You know what else today is?”

       We gave him blank, silent stares. What else was today?

       He shook his head with a sigh. “Its Evaner Essen Ender day. The first day of every decade, remember?”

       “Evaner Essen Ender day, of course!” I said, slapping a hand to my forehead, even though I had no idea of what he was talking about. Well, I did, but not really. Evaner Essen Ender day was the day we celebrated the first day of every decade, as we’ve been doing for the past century or so. This would be my first time celebrating it, and there was a bit of excitement within me now.

       “Right. So go wash up and put on your best clothes,” the Headmaster said, dismissing us with a small nod.

       Aria and I ran up the concrete gray spiral stairs that turned a lighter safe, grand stained glass windows allowing light in of all colors on each level. Her room was in the west wing, while mines was up a few more flights to the east.

       She pulled me into a quick kiss, excitement dancing upon her face as she grinned. “I’ll see you at the ceremony!” she called out, running off to get ready.

       Evaner Essen Ender day.

       The castle was silent as I made my way to my room. One of the guards gave me a stiff nod when I passed by. Suddenly, I wasn’t as excited as I was. Ceremonies and festivals tended to be, well, festive. Fun, loud, enjoyable.

       But today, there was nothing.

       I knew nothing of Evaner Essen Ender day.

       As a knot tightened itself within me, I was conflicted on not finding out a single thing, or finding out everything about this day. And I wasn’t entirely sure which one I wanted less.