Darkest part of Me

I awoke in a pile of leaves. My head hurt, eyes still closed, but I knew I was alive. Thinking. Breathing. When my eyes did open, it took a while for them to adjust and function normally. I could see the branches if a tree high above me, bright red leaves flitting in the soft wind. Where was I? How did I get here? Who am I? Who was I?

       Small aches bit their way into my body as I sat up. The leaves I sat in were not normal. The leaves in the trees were not normal. A bright red, yes, but it was such an abnormal color for this winter time. Elsewhere, the ground and wood-litter were dull and grey. Where am I? Who was I?

       Crimson leaves.

       Falling… where?

       I was in a clearing of a sort of woodland. And scattered about were separate piles of the brightly colored leaves, where I assumed more sleeping bodies laid. From the border of the trees came of group of odd people — creatures, perhaps — that emerged, wearing pasty white bird masks and dark, heavy cloaks that shifted as they moved. They didn’t seem to see me, but I quickly laid back down in my pile, watching them through the jagged windows the leaves created.

       One of the masks was on their hands. It was carefully, gently placed on whoever the person in the pile was. Moments later, the upper body rose out from the leaves, mask perfectly in place. Transformed. Then it slowly looked in my direction, and the others did as well.

       Where am I?

       Who am I?

       Who was I?

{ inspired by RED's newest album, 'of Beauty and Rage' }