64

Jasper helped Narcolepse with dinner later that night, then went to gather everyone. It was a quiet night. Books scribbled in a notebook and Narcolepse pushed around at his food. Freak did pretty much the same. Roderick was still in bed and Skins drank a dark drink from a wine glass. Jasper ate what he could stomach, then took his plate to the kitchen. Freak was soon following. When their plates were in the dishwasher and their hands were dried, Freak hugged Jasper and hid his face in Jasper's shirt. He hugged the small boy back and slid his hand into his hair.
"It's gonna be ok, Freak."
Freak squeezed him tighter, causing Jasper to wince. He had no idea the boy had such a strong grip. Jasper rubbed Freak's back until he let go. The boy sniffled and ran off. Jasper stared after him. Narcolepse pushed Jasper aside so he could take care of his own dishes, causing Jasper to frown and leave the room. He went up to his bedroom and laid down, but he couldn't sleep. Not with what was going on. Roderick had been lucid. At least for a moment. And he had asked for help in that moment. How did he help him? How do you fix a damaged mind? He breathed out and frowned when he could see his own breath. He sat up and looked around, finding it snowing in his room. He couldn't even find it in him to care. His paper things were safe and his clothes were away for when the snow melted. So, he laid down while the snow slowly drifted to the floor from the ceiling above him. He was scared. And he was sad. Emotions clearly had some sort of part in the formation of his cold powers.
"Snow!"
He heard someone yell from downstairs, then footsteps running up them. He gasped and got up, going to the door. He opened it at the same time Books arrived at it.
"It's snowing in the house. Stop it, you're gonna ruin the books!"
"Uh..."
Jasper poked his head out and found that it was. Snow drifted down from the ceiling all around the house. It wasn't just his room.
"I don't know how to stop it."
"Try, idiot."
Narcolepse said, coming to stand beside Books.
"It's fuckin' cold."
Jasper frowned, then tried to reel it all in. He closed his eyes and imagined the snow running up his arms and absorbing into his skin. He imagined it dissolving in his veins and becoming a part of him again. He could feel it pulling inward, but it was like sucking in a long piece of spaghetti that went on forever. There was only so much he could suck in before he had to stop. When he finally stopped and opened his eyes, he had a headache and stumbled into the doorframe, suddenly feeling weak. It was still snowing in his room, but it appeared to be gone everywhere else.
"Well, that sort of worked..."
Books said, then looked at Jasper.
"Try and get some rest?"
Jasper nodded and took a step toward his bed. His knee gave out and he went down into it. He let out a shaky breath, then stood up and continued on wobbly legs to the bed. Narcolepse closed his door and they left Jasper to rest. He slept like a baby after that.