22

The training room was huge. Bigger than he'd been expecting for the size of the house they were in. The floors were covered in black mats and the walls were painted gray with red accents. The ceiling looked like it was three stories tall with fluorescent white lighting that could blind a person if stared at for too long. At the other end of the room, Jasper saw a set of stairs leading up to a second floor landing and pointed at it.
"What's up there?"
"Storage and controls."
"Controls?"
Jasper asked, looking at the brunet. Books smiled.
"Yeah. I put this room together myself. I'll show you how it works, just go stand over there, where the big red X is."
"Wait, what're you gonna-"
"You'll see!"
Books was already running to the other side of the room, leaving Jasper to sigh and make his way to the X. Once he stood there, he heard the door slam shut behind him and he turned to look, but no one was there. He jumped when a voice on his other side spoke up.
"What're you up to?"
Jasper looked over, then down, finding Freak staring up at him.
"I, uh... I don't know. Books said he was gonna show me how the room works."
"Oh. Yeah, he's real proud of his work in here."
"What, uh... What exactly is he gonna do?"
Freak shrugged at the question.
"Probably throw fireballs at you. You have fun with that."
His arm was patted, then Freak walked away.
"Wait. What? He's gonna do what?!"
The door slammed shut again. Not a second later, an alarm sounded and Jasper let out a yelp, looking around for any incoming fireballs. Instead, a screen lit up in front of him and he was looking at Books' profile on the stretch of the entire wall in front of him.
"Alright, listen up. This room can be dangerous and tricky. Be careful and wary of your surroundings. Things move and are not always what they seem. Trust your instincts. The room learns from you and bases its difficulty on that. Good luck."
"Things move? There isn't anything in here that can move..."
Just as the words left Jasper's lips, the floor began dropping around him.