27

Jasper was asleep when Books came to collect him for dinner. He had his cheek resting in his hand, propped up on the table by his elbow. Books smirked and put a hand on Jasper's shoulder to wake him. Jasper jumped and Books felt a jolt of cold jump through his hand and shoot straight up his arm and neck to his head.
"Ah!"
He stepped back and touched his head, finding that his hair had been frozen, all of it standing on its ends. Jasper stared after him with his mouth hanging open. Books took a breath in as if to speak, then stopped and shook his head. He left the room a moment later. Jasper looked down at his hands with widened eyes.
"Damn, this is bad."
He left the library a few minutes later, taking the books upstairs to the room he'd been issued. He got himself a little more presentable, then headed to the bathroom to wash his hands. When he reached it, though, the door was open and Books stood there shirtless with a blow dryer. His brown hair was plastered to his skull and he had an irritated expression distorting his facial features. Jasper blinked rapidly at him and his very prominent six pack and v-lines. Books looked at him and made a 'hmph' sound.
"Dinner is ready when you are."
Jasper looked back at Books' irritated face.
"Huh?"
"Are you deaf, now? I said dinner is ready. Go on and eat."
Jasper raised a brow. Was Books referring to...? He shook his head and went downstairs.(A/N: psst. Jasper. Your gay is showing.) While going down the hall to the kitchen, the smell of fresh cooking made its way to his nose and caused his stomach to get excited. He went into the kitchen and immediately began serving himself mashed potatoes and gravy, beef roast and green beans. He took the plate to the table and sat down across from Freak. The boy immediately started laughing when he looked at Jasper.
"What? Is there something on my face?"
"No..."
Freak giggled out, then continued to laugh harder and harder.
"You... You froze..."
He wheezed and slapped the table multiple times.
"His hair!"
Jasper felt his cheeks go red.
"Oh... Yeah."
He heard snickering from the other end of the table and was surprised to see Narcolepse with a smile. It was immediately gone when he realized he was being looked at.
"How's your... Head?"
Jasper asked hesitantly.
"Aching more and more with every passing second your dumbass face is within sight."
Jasper rolled his eyes and looked away. He heard a door slam, then running footsteps before Roderick came into the kitchen, panting and eyes wide and searching. He surged forward and scrambled at the counter where the knives were.
"Fuck."
Narcolepse jumped out of his seat, knocking it over as he ran to the albino and gripped his wrists, hauling him away from the knives.
"No! Bad!"
Roderick let out a frustrated yell and fought against Narcolepse.
"Roderick, stop! Go to... to..."
Jasper saw the blank look that was creeping into Narcolepse's teal eyes and just reacted. Narcolepse collapsed to the floor, luckily without hitting his head. As his hands left Roderick, though, Jasper was there in the albino's way.
"Death to the pale king. Death. Death. Death to the pale king."
"Roderick, have you fed your fish?"
Jasper asked and watched the darkness fade from Roderick's face. A smile found its way onto his lips and his shoulders relaxed.
"Fish..."
By that time, Freak had gotten Skins and the woman came and took Roderick's wrist, gently leading him from the kitchen and up to his room. Jasper gulped and looked at Freak.
"Is that a regular thing?"
Freak shook his head, then said,
"But, it's becoming one..."
He walked back into the dining room. Jasper looked between the doorway, dining room, and Narcolepse. He was lost on what to do. He wanted to help. Even if he'd known these people only a day, he still felt the need to piece them together. But in the end, there wasn't much he could do at that moment.