9

When Jasper awoke, they were at a gas station. Evelyn reached into the backseat and handed some of the food to him.
"Fuel up."
She gave a little laugh at her attempted joke. He didn't smile.
"Well, it was a good try, anyway. You sit tight while I get some gas. Unless you need to empty the tank?"
Evelyn said, getting nothing but a frown in response. She let out a long breath, then got out of the car to fuel it. Jasper sat there for a moment, watching her through the back window. With the engine no longer running and the music and air conditioning no longer going, things were awfully quiet. He looked outside and watched as others fueled up or went into the gas station to buy things or use the restroom. Maybe he should try and use the bathroom before they hit the road again. He didn't know when they'd stop again. Plus, he could use a good stretch. So, he put the bag at his feet, got out, stretched, then went inside. The last time he went into a gas station, things didn't end so well. He hoped this time would be fine. There weren't very many people he could see inside the gas station. Maybe one or two heads peeking up from the aisles. He could faintly hear the news playing on a tv behind the counter, droning on about the heat. Arizona was in a dry spell and things were getting pretty bad. People were praying for rain and the American Indians were doing rain dances. Speaking of rain... Jasper went to the bathroom and did his business, then came out and started back through the aisles to the front. As he went by the front counter to the door, he heard his name and looked at the tv.
"Mr. and Mrs. Holegate were found dead early yesterday morning. The police are investigating the scene and have one suspect in custody. Their son, Jasper Holegate, is still missing. If you have any information of the whereabouts of Jasper Holegate, we advise you call the number on your screen now."
His photograph was pictured on the screen, making his blood run cold. His face. His brown eyes, his old, muddy brown hair that fell into his face. His prominent cheekbones and strong jawline, dimples when he smiled. That was him. And he was in big trouble. Jasper let out a shaky breath, then quickly left the building and hopped into Evelyn's car. He buckled himself in, then looked at his aunt who was chewing on a granola bar.
"Evelyn, we gotta go. My face is on the news."
"Wha-? I haven't even gone to the bathroom yet, Jasp-"
"There's no time! We have to go! You can pee in a bush or something later."
Evelyn gave him a hard, unhappy stare, but she started the car anyway and buckled herself in. They were on the road again soon after. Evelyn glanced at Jasper a little while later, then spoke.
"We have to go to this car rental place in Yuma. There, we'll switch cars and finish the drive to California."
"We're going to California?"
"Yeah... I wish you'd never left. It'd have been easier to protect you from there. You wouldn't have wound up in the streets on your own."
Jasper gave her a questioning look.
"Who says I need protecting?"
"I do. You don't know what's out there, kid. You're in real danger and not just from the cops. There's something worse out there and it is coming for you."
Jasper gulped at Evelyn's words. Something worse than being locked up? Did that mean... He was in danger of dying?
"Don't worry, kid. We'll be fine. You know why?"
"No..."
"I know how to kick ass and protect my nephew."
Jasper smiled.
"Really, now?"
He said in a disbelieving tone. Evelyn smirked.
"You'll see. Once we get my truck."